I am Getting Burned Out at Work

I didn't retire until I was 70. I now regard that as a mistake. I've been self-employed almost all my life so no company 401! I didn't even have a Creditcard until I started to travel for business. I never financed a car or pickup, drove rusty junk. I invested in property. The rents from those now provide me with enough $ that I can buy whatever I want for my hobby.

I don't get it? You complained about being burned out, putting in less hours, and you then go and buy a $1000 live center. How does that help your situation. You are saying you will sell pipe coupons.. you won't easily make that back.

What am I missing here. You sounded like you were sending a plea for help...

Sounds like an impulsive buy, that may not be warranted for what you need to do. If this were a business, mmm, maybe, but just to practice welding, in my opinion, not a wise expenditure. You could make something that would work for far, far less than that with a little engenuity. You could get away with 0.1" tolerances probably. Three inward tilted dowels forming a circle in a plate would probably be ok. I'm sure there are tons of other creative solutions that would work.

My totally unsolicited opinion: Compulsive buying, while fun (for the moment), can lead to some bad long term consequences. Get some help, before it totally ruins your life in ways you can't imagine.

Last edited:
@strantor

I suppose that I may have been looking for input regarding my inability to continue working the long hours that I had set out to.

My main point of this thread was to share exactly where my breaking point was: 70++ average weekly hours worked for 9 months, at which point I put up the white flag and reduced the weekly hours down to 63.

Also, because I have a secure union job, I am able to post personal details including the fact that I have borderline personality disorder. You guys get to read how a person with a personality disorder thinks and acts (e.g. recklessly impulsive), and in return I get to read how you normal (for the most part?) people think and act (e.g. responsibly).

I think my wife has a lot of patience for voluntarily remaining strapped to a runaway train.
Normal people? Responsibility is discipline in thinking, not something you are born with/without. Discipline is the act of doing something over and over again correctly. Acting impulsive is not a disease to be blamed on, its looking in the mirror and blaming that person for the problems in life. I have seen janitors that retired millionaires and people making millions per year retire broke.

I have seen janitors that retired millionaires and people making millions per year retire broke.
Did those janitors work at the airport? I have a theory that someone somewhere is running a rather successful side business selling all the pocket knives and full-sized shampoos that end up in the trash can at the security checkpoint.

Did those janitors work at the airport? I have a theory that someone somewhere is running a rather successful side business selling all the pocket knives and full-sized shampoos that end up in the trash can at the security checkpoint.
No, in the dorms of the local university. Pretty sure there was no side bussiness selling things on the side. Lady was salt of the earth and would even bring morel mushrooms in and give away that she could have sold for 30 dollars a pound or more

I don't get it? You complained about being burned out, putting in less hours, and you then go and buy a $1000 live center. How does that help your situation. You are saying you will sell pipe coupons.. you won't easily make that back.

What am I missing here. You sounded like you were sending a plea for help...
Contact them and cancel it if it hasn't shipped yet , unless you really need a 1k center.

Stu

It was ErikMannie, not Woodchucker that ordered it. Yes, Erik could cancel, but will he? Probably not.
Yeah , I'm just totaly agreeing with wood chucker.

Uncontrolled spending and debt can be serious issues , Erik you might be able to get some help from "addiction" charities perhaps. No harm in reaching out for help from family members, perhaps.

Stu

Is there a difference between a tool addiction and other things?

Back