I am Getting Burned Out at Work

Hi Erik,

Not adding anything but my perspective as a new retiree (as of today, March 1, 2022). You know your finances better than anyone. This is a judgement-free forum, some may disagree with mortgaging "the farm" to outfit your shop. Hey, it's your money/debt, do as you see fit. Members here have your best interest at heart and will give you their advice.

Some tips toward a happy retirement (from my perspective). My wife and I had all of our debt paid off (house payment) 12 years ago. We didn't want to owe anyone anything before we even considered retiring. When paying off debt, tackle the one with the biggest interest rate first, then work down the line.

We also saved with a plan to retire with the same income we had during our working time. Mostly bragging at this point, but Fidelity tells me that if my 401K averages a gain of 2.5% a year, we can live on a pay raise of about 15% over what we were making while working. That's sustainable until I hit 93.

So how did we get there? For starters, we never put ourselves in a position of having credit card debt. Something about getting 0.25% interest on money saved at the bank vs. them charging 20+% for the "privilege" of borrowing money from them via plastic just irked me. We'd save up the money for the purchase and pay cash. We figured if we didn't already have it, we really didn't need it right away. However, if that's the route you chose, no problem. There is some value in getting what you want when you want it, that's why we work. It doesn't have to pay off or make sense if that's what you want.

Case in point for us is my wife has been talking about putting in solar panels for years. Her concern is I cut about 8 full cords of firewood a year to supplement our propane furnace (cuts our propane use in half). At 62 I can still handle the work. At 72 or 82, maybe not. We put in a geothermal "pump and dump" system last year ($15K) as an alternative to wood/propane. The cooling cycle makes perfect sense to me (more efficient) as it cools compressed freon with 55 F water instead of 90+ degree air. That lets the system run on a 15 A/220 V breaker (much smaller compressor because of the massive increase in efficiency) instead of a 40A/ 220V. However, the heating cycle doesn't make sense though the jury is still out. It's basically a refrigerator; compress the freon, and blow air over the coils to make heat. It made our electric bills go from ~$125 a month to >$350 or about $225 to heat the house in the winter. We've been going through 3 tanks of propane a year at about $1500. Our propane usage will probably drop to maybe one fill a year (hot water heater) so saving $1000 in propane at the cost of around $1000 in electricity (?, will tally the total at the end of the heating season). It does give us the option of heating with propane or electricity depending on the cost of the energy. If propane goes up to $4 a gallon, easy call and we'll pump and dump. Electricity goes up to $0.25 kW hour, we'll go back to the propane.

Long story longer, we're putting in a Power Home Solar (you've probably seen the ads with Jayson Waller) system. We're paying cash to get a 10% discount ($72K instead of $80K). They project our current average electric bill to be $175 a month throughout the year. They predict our bill will drop to an average of $45 a month with the system in place. That'll save us ~$1560 a year in electric bills (assuming their math is correct), but at a cost of $72,000. Payback assuming no interest on our $72K in the bank is 46 years. Of course there are many variables that'll throw the projections off like the current cost of electricity ($0.13 per kW hour for us currently). Does it make sense, ABSOLUTELY not! But my wife is passionate about the environment, we have the money, so we're doing it even though the math doesn't make sense. It's not taking any food off the table, not keeping us from doing any travelling, etc. It's our money and we'll spend it wherever/however we want (thank you very much)!

You obviously enjoy your shop and members here love seeing your projects. We wish you all the best with your place of work, it's a 4-letter word for good reason! But life is not all about work and saving money for the future. You have to enjoy yourself too! We just don't want to see you fall into the high-interest, gotta have it now trap.

Just my $0.02!

Bruce

Erik,
I can see your dilemma, and we all have ours- in many different areas. some are greater than others, and maybe some members could easily solve others dilemmas, but not their own.
I will be 79 this year and have been retired since I was 61. I worked hard long hours and lots of overtime for very little pay from two companies up until I retired.--- in 1983 my pay was $3.50 an hour and my pay when I retired was still less than $17 an hour. my wife was a stay at home wife raising our children so mine was our only income. I could not spend much on hobbies till the kids left home so had to look for real bargains that would help me tackle home projects that I always had. I paid my 10 acre hobby farm off in approx 1988 and never went into debt again on a home or cars and trucks. no credit cards.
I didn't have money to squander, so just made sure we had a good home to live in ---good food to eat, and vehicles to get around in. some mechanical tools helped also, and a belsaw planer.
just before the kids left home I was able to start buying some old wood working machines (an A87 Parks combination mill ) (still have it )and some table saws and band saws to help me remodel the home and make wooden gifts. made several sanders, also bought an arc welder and a oxy/ace. torch set-----in 1995 I was able to buy my 10" Logan lathe, and start my metal working hobby to help fix and make things. I collected free or inexpensive materials all during my life so I have enough for all and more for future projects. these will help me to not need to invest in buying materials, I already have enough.
I have always been a happy person and have a perfect wife. we live on just our social securities, and my buying low and selling high talents. I have more money in my wallet now than ever, and don't lack. we are both Christians and my folks were Christians. My dad was the only breadwinner and they raised 11 of us. I was next to youngest so I had many examples to follow. my advise is --- keep it simple---love and respect your wife, and work together---believe in God.
**my dilemma is too much stuff and I don't move as fast as I used to-- to organize and deal with all of it. ---I figure I have 20 years left to enjoy my hobbies and stay healthy and not leave a big mess for others to deal with.-----sorry this got too long of reply----we are praying for you and your wifes' happiness. God bless you and your family.
Dave

Payback assuming no interest on our $72K in the bank is 46 years.
I considered a smaller solar install but even with government incentives it didn't pay by a long ways. I don't like government subsidies for anything. They hide the real costs.

I considered a smaller solar install but even with government incentives it didn't pay by a long ways. I don't like government subsidies for anything. They hide the real costs.
One thing I forgot to mention is the 26% tax credit this year. The system will cost us about $54k after we get the tax credit. We are also getting the Generac battery backup system. It's a 9 kW hour battery and will be wired to 4 circuits. We'll be running our propane furnace, well, WiFi and a frig.

It's not a replacement for a whole house generator by any stretch. Just made to get us through the night. It's enough to run a 15A 110 circuit at full capacity for 5 1/2 hours. I'll pick up a just in case gas generator to charge the battery.

Bruce

One thing I forgot to mention is the 26% tax credit this year. The system will cost us about $54k after we get the tax credit. We are also getting the Generac battery backup system. It's a 9 kW hour battery and will be wired to 4 circuits. We'll be running our propane furnace, well, WiFi and a frig.

It's not a replacement for a whole house generator by any stretch. Just made to get us through the night. It's enough to run a 15A 110 circuit at full capacity for 5 1/2 hours. I'll pick up a just in case gas generator to charge the battery.

Bruce
You could buy a Ford Lightning and use that as a house power source. When I first saw that ad with the truck plugged into the house and the family running all of their stuff, I thought it was just a gimmick, until I looked into it. It is actually quite the power source.

Back