I am Getting Burned Out at Work

Is there a difference between a tool addiction and other things?
What Woodchucker said ^^
There is also something called CBD = Compulsive Buying Disorder. Supposedly it affects about 5% or so of the population. There are also other names for it.

It sounds like a vicious circle to me.

Working too hard, generating stress and unhappiness, and ultimately depression. Need to do something to alleviate the stress, feel good -> go buy something for the workshop dream of getting away from the stress. Now need to work harder to pay off the debt. Brings on more stress ...

It sounds like a vicious circle to me.

Working too hard, generating stress and unhappiness, and ultimately depression. Need to do something to alleviate the stress, feel good -> go buy something for the workshop dream of getting away from the stress. Now need to work harder to pay off the debt. Brings on more stress ...
You could replace "something for the workshop" with "some liquor," "some cocaine," whatever.
Doesn't matter what you fill in the blank with, it's always obvious from the outside (usually from the inside too) what the solution is, but for reasons that wouldn't make sense unless you've been there, easier said than done. Sometimes you need help.

You could replace "something for the workshop" with "some liquor," "some cocaine," whatever.
Doesn't matter what you fill in the blank with, it's always obvious from the outside (usually from the inside too) what the solution is, but for reasons that wouldn't make sense unless you've been there, easier said than done. Sometimes you need help.
I think he's starting to realize that. Trying to cut back on work is one step. Unfortunately this board isn't going to be able to provide more than a nudge in the right direction.

usually the person in this situation is in denial, and will just keep it that way. The only way the cycle breaks, is when they see it for themselves, usually it's after a major event.

usually the person in this situation is in denial, and will just keep it that way. The only way the cycle breaks, is when they see it for themselves, usually it's after a major event.
Like when he is left with half of a lathe, half of a mill, half of a welder, half of a shop, and whatever else the wife takes. I'm surprised she has stuck around this long, but then again, maybe she has her own money and doesn't give a rip what he does with his.

Like when he is left with half of a lathe, half of a mill, half of a welder, half of a shop, and whatever else the wife takes. I'm surprised she has stuck around this long, but then again, maybe she has her own money and doesn't give a rip what he does with his.

It's difficult , we all know the problems that can arise , best to fix it before they doooo.

Eric, at least it's in your power to deal with the issues and it's not hit a block in the road yet that derails the whole train.

Stu

Erik, I know you like to practice and tinker, but if I needed a big live center at that price (from China, no less), I'd be putting the feelers out for a nice 10" round drop of some 4130 or similar so I could put that nice 16" deluxe lathe to work! It would be good practice, and there is lots of wiggle room for margin of error. I prefer building my own tools when possible, it provides a whole new level of satisfaction that you just don't get from opening a UPS box. Heck, I'd buy a tool post grinder to finish the job if I didn't have one already, and would still be ahead of the $1000 for the import live center. That's a two-fer.

Nothing is worth your personal well being, nothing. Everyone has a story, I could go on and on. I worked 4 straight years with only Christmas afternoon off, and finally through my hands up in the air, and went to the river for a week alone. We have changed our farming operations from stockers to cow/calf, to hay production and back to cow/calf, whatever the prospects are best for us, I aint afraid to sell out. I've had the conversation more than once with my wife, that when I kick it the auction of the farm and equipment, and my various hobbies will set her up good. Her reply is always "that stuff definitely brings more than towels and sheets" lol. You have to have balance. I will say being debt free is a good feeling, and one that we didn't think a few years ago that we would ever achieve. My wife went to college late in life, with 2 kids from a previuos husband, and could have played the system but didn't, and was stuck with 40k of student debt at age 58, because life happens. Anyway, take care of yourself, you're the only one who can.

Back