I am Getting Burned Out at Work

I had always pictured that my retirement would be spent working on whatever projects I chose. I would hate to think that I might have to stress out on meeting other people’s deadlines after I retire.

Like I said, though, cranking out (and recycling!) pipe welding coupons or one-on-one welding or machining lessons for adults sounds appealing.

There is nothing I enjoy about working on a house or in a yard.
Same here! Did I say working? I didn't say working on it. I pay someone else to do that. I tried it before. That sucked. Not just like a little bit either. It was 9 months of misery. Geez, I used to WISH I had overtime to get away from that disaster. No. Buy less tools, pay someone else to do the renovating. Lol.

Same here! Did I say working? I didn't say working on it. I pay someone else to do that. I tried it before. That sucked. Not just like a little bit either. It was 9 months of misery. Geez, I used to WISH I had overtime to get away from that disaster. No. Buy less tools, pay someone else to do the renovating. Lol.

Hear, hear!

I think you’re making the right decision, you will be able to still pay down the debt without killing yourself and having quality shop time will be worth it.

Maybe the boss can work it out so you can fill in for the new Saturday driver on occasion, might work out well for everyone.

Definitely think about what Jim said, make the machines work for you. For sure there are welding and fabrication jobs out there that will pay off the tools quicker. You probably already know who needs your skills from the packages you deliver….

And, we all enjoy the pictures you post from your route, that’s some beautiful country :)

John

Wife and I just finished painting, all I want from paint is for it to stick to the walls. But, it does look a lot better now and she is happy….

3E930C74-29F1-4583-B8EF-3AD84DCF4312.jpeg

@matthewsx

The Saturday UPS routes are way too brutal for somebody at my age & weight. I work in the office on Saturday afternoons.

Shopping / purchasing stuff is a compulsive behavior that many people have trouble with. It is a behavior that our world in the United States not only condones and encourages our whole economy depends on this behavior. It is a behavior that is encouraged by our government and catered to by the whole consumer goods industry as well as the whole credit industry. (Sorry if I am sounding like a communist)

Personally not being able to pay off the credit cards in the same month I charge them up is a big enough deterrent to keep me in check, usually. I believe this was a value instilled in me by my very conservative parents that is very contrary to my innate nature. My biggest weakness is not being able to pass up a deal on some great used tool or piece of machinery that I know will rarely (if ever) come along again... even if I don't really need the tool or machine the compulsion it to purchase it.

Is it possible that you have a problem with purchasing stuff you really don't need? Of the $70K worth of stuff how much of it do you actually need? Unfortunately in our hobby the biggest fanciest mill or lathe is COMPLETELY USELESS unless we also spend large amounts of money on tooling and accessories that make our machinery investment useful.

I have been wanting a rotary table for many years. There are tons of projects I could do with a rotary table that I can't do now. Do I actually need / want to do those types of projects??? Doesn't matter, when the right one comes up on CraigsList I will buy it whether I truly need it or not. "Since I got a great deal on it I can always sell it for what I bought it for if not more"... is my way of enabling myself.

Back