How To Get New Arbor Press Off Of Semi Truck???

My press arrived today, strapped to a pallet & on a truck with a liftgate. Piece of cake to wheel off & then move to the hand truck.

Here's what my box looked like, must be cause I'm closer to China :rolleyes:

DSC_1717_zps7j6yawga.jpg

So far so good

DSC_1718_zpsijlt0qj8.jpg

DSC_1719_zpsdrp3xlgp.jpg

Now to get busy building something to mount it to. Well, maybe next rainy day. Hear the beckon of the rifle range.................
Mark

DSC_1717_zps7j6yawga.jpg

DSC_1718_zpsijlt0qj8.jpg

DSC_1719_zpsdrp3xlgp.jpg

DSC_1717_zps7j6yawga.jpg

DSC_1718_zpsijlt0qj8.jpg

DSC_1719_zpsdrp3xlgp.jpg

DSC_1717_zps7j6yawga.jpg

DSC_1718_zpsijlt0qj8.jpg

DSC_1719_zpsdrp3xlgp.jpg

DSC_1717_zps7j6yawga.jpg

DSC_1718_zpsijlt0qj8.jpg

DSC_1719_zpsdrp3xlgp.jpg

DSC_1717_zps7j6yawga.jpg

DSC_1718_zpsijlt0qj8.jpg

DSC_1719_zpsdrp3xlgp.jpg

Add me to the list of 'could not pass up the discount and free shipping'.

Arrived today. Driver helped me get it off the back of the truck and onto the ground. Two wheeler used to get it in the garage. Now just need to figure out a stand and to get it into the basement.

I'm not sure how many more "discounts and free shipping"s I can afford!

Here is a video of my unboxing and setup:

I figured I would share the little bit of information I have in case others were eying this press. So far I'm pretty happy, but I won't do a tool review on ant item I haven't used for a while.

Thanks Again,

Chris

Thanks for the videos.
One thing, can you put up some detailed pictures of the ratchet mechanism and how the finger is disengaged when the handle is right back. I'm contemplating if it would be possible to manufacture the components to convert my old arbor press to a ratcheting type.

THERE IS PART OF THE CASTING THAT ACTS AS A CAM .

WHEN THE LEVER IS FULLY RETRACTED , A PIN RIDES UP ON THE CAM
AND LIFTS THE PAWL JUST HIGH ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE TEETH .

THIS ALLOWS FREE POSITIONING OF THE SHAFT & RAM .

WHEN THE LEVER IS PULLED FORWARD , THE PIN RIDES DOWN THE CAM
ALLOWING THE PAWL TO ENGAGE THE NEXT AVAILABLE RATCHET TOOTH .

This is how I mounted my arbor press.

20160402_085545.jpg

The only thing I do if I'm pressing something longer than the press throat I use a couple stout c clamps to clamp the front of the press to the stand. I have always intended to bolt the front to the stand but haven't gotten around to it yet. It needs to be bolted to the floor too but I'm not sure where it is going to end up, I may just add some angle out the front with a platform then all the force is contained in the frame.

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic

20160402_085545.jpg

20160402_085545.jpg

20160402_085545.jpg

20160402_085545.jpg

20160402_085545.jpg

Darn, I thought this tread ended on page 1. I just noticed page 2 with everyone buying their presses in the last week.

Congrats on everyone on their new arbor presses. I'm jealous that everyone else here seems to have theirs on proper stands already. Mine is still on my workbench. I have been using it to press stuff on and off regularly though.

Chris

Thanks for the videos.
One thing, can you put up some detailed pictures of the ratchet mechanism and how the finger is disengaged when the handle is right back. I'm contemplating if it would be possible to manufacture the components to convert my old arbor press to a ratcheting type.

I can make a close up video of the mechanism in action if you want.

Ive seen others modify their non ratcheting arbor presses by installing a big ratchet where the handle goes.

Chris

I HAVE MODIFIED MINE WITH A 10" HAND WHEEL .
THIS IS KEYED TO THE SHAFT SO YOU CAN GET BOTH HANDS ON IT AND
ACTUALLY USE IT FOR LIGHTER PRESS WORK WHEN THE RATCHET IS TOO MUCH .
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS !

DSC_0873.JPG

MY PRESS DID NOT HAVE THE ADVERTISED 12 5/8" MAX OPENING .
I MANAGED TO FIX IT BY CUTTING AN EXTRA GEAR TOOTH IN THE RACK
TO RECLAIM THE LOST HEIGHT . IT GOES ALL THE WAY UP NOW .

DSC_0866.JPG DSC_0875.JPG

I HAVE MODIFIED MINE WITH A 10" HAND WHEEL .
THIS IS KEYED TO THE SHAFT SO YOU CAN GET BOTH HANDS ON IT AND
ACTUALLY USE IT FOR LIGHTER PRESS WORK WHEN THE RATCHET IS TOO MUCH .
BEST OF BOTH WORLDS !

View attachment 126375

MY PRESS DID NOT HAVE THE ADVERTISED 12 5/8" MAX OPENING .
I MANAGED TO FIX IT BY CUTTING AN EXTRA GEAR TOOTH IN THE RACK
TO RECLAIM THE LOST HEIGHT . IT GOES ALL THE WAY UP NOW .

View attachment 126378 View attachment 126379

Both look like great mods!!! Where did you get the bigger wheel from? I was surprised that the one that is on it wasn't keyed. but I fount that I mostly us mine to position the ram, and hold a little pressure while i reach for the handle. After using this ratcheting model, I couldn't even imagine going bach to a regular one.

What profile cutter did you use in your mill to cut that extra tooth? I may have to do that mod.

Thanks,

Chris

Back