How To Get New Arbor Press Off Of Semi Truck???

Shadowdog500

Active User
Registered
I just took advantage of Enco's Leap day sale (25% off plus free truck shipping) and ordered a 3 ton ratcheting arbor press for $147 to my door.

It is a truck delivery, and now I'm wondering how to get it off of the truck? Its 148 lb. which is just under the weight limit for liftgate service, but is a bit more that I want to wrestle off of a 4 foot high trailer(I messed up my lower back up doing this years ago and don't want to repeat the same mistake twice.)

Im thinking about putting a table on the top of my "under lift transmission jack", so I can at least get it off the truck and into my shop. I can probably slide it off of the trans jack onto my workbench when I get it in the shop.

If anyone has any suggestions, Im all ears.

Thanks,

Chris

Got a neighbor or relative that can help you get it off the jack and onto its new perch?? Please don't try to wrestle it by yourself, it is just too heavy.

I recently purchased a new 18"x4" surface plate from Enco, weighs in just under 200 lbs. Had it delivered to my work, where it was placed in the back of my pickup with a forklift when they took it off the truck. When I got it home my son and I easily carried it into the basement and set it on its stand.

Congrats on the new arbor press, though!

Got a neighbor or relative that can help you get it off the jack and onto its new perch?? Please don't try to wrestle it by yourself, it is just too heavy.

I recently purchased a new 18"x4" surface plate from Enco, weighs in just under 200 lbs. Had it delivered to my work, where it was placed in the back of my pickup with a forklift when they took it off the truck. When I got it home my son and I easily carried it into the basement and set it on its stand.

Congrats on the new arbor press, though!

Thanks, Ive been waiting for a deal to come along on an arbor press for awhile now.

Great idea, Once i get it in the shop, I can wait for a friend or neighbor to help me get it off of the truck.

I cant guarantee someone else will be available when the truck shows up. I expect I will be going home from work for a few hours waiting for the truck to show up.

Another plan is to find out the nearest freight terminal and pick it up there with someone else at my leisure. I need to see what trucking company ENCO ships with before I can locate the nearest terminal.

Chris

Picking it up at the terminal isn't a bad idea either. They'll set it right into the back of your pickup with the forklift. But, you don't get to choose which company hauls it, and you don't get to choose whose terminal it ends up at. So, it could end up a fair piece away from home.

You could set a couple of planks on the back of the delivering truck with the other end of the planks in your pickup, then just slide the box down the planks into your pickup. Sliding 150 lbs is easy. Picking it up is another story.

Terry has a good idea about sliding it into a pick up. I have done this, or you and the driver can lower it into your pick up bed, it's not that far from the deck of the truck to your p.u. bed. Then you can get help to get it into your shop.

Those drivers are only required to move the item to the tail of the trailer or truck body. Some will help you a little, some will not, so don't depend on the driver to do so. You need to have a quick and easy plan that will work without his help. Depending on the size of the box, it will probably be strapped to a pallet. So this might work:
  1. Back your pickup up to the back of the delivery truck with your tailgate down.
  2. The truck driver will tailgate the box/pallet for you.
  3. You climb into the back of your pickup and slide the pallet towards your pickup until you can simply let your end of the pallet down onto the bed of the pickup.
  4. Lift up the far end of the pallet so that you stand it up on end and let the driver drive away.
  5. Now lay the pallet down on the bed of your pickup.
Done deal until you have help to get it out of the pickup.

I think Terry has the ticket here. Sliding it down to the pickup bed is an easy deal. I've used an aluminum scaffold ramp in the past, but a 2x8 or such would be fine. Normally I just run the backhoe bucket up to the rear of the truck and slide it in, but I realize not everyone has this option. Hope it all goes well, and please post some pics. Mike

I think Terry has the ticket here. Sliding it down to the pickup bed is an easy deal. I've used an aluminum scaffold ramp in the past, but a 2x8 or such would be fine. Normally I just run the backhoe bucket up to the rear of the truck and slide it in, but I realize not everyone has this option. Hope it all goes well, and please post some pics. Mike
I had a 1100#mill delivered to rural address. I had paid for the lift gate service, $35.
Delivery driver didn't want to park on the street. I offered $50 dollars. He walked across my bridge, up my driveway and asked if he commonplace it on my concrete pad.
He had me standout in the road and flag traffic. The driver backed into my driveway all the way up to the house. Used his lift gate to lower to the ground. Then he moved it INTO my garage.
Expensive, yes. Easy on my back, yes. Worth it to me.

Bob

Great ideas here. The only "pickup" type of vehicle I have is my old Willys Jeep. I just went out and measured the height of the back and it is 41" I could probably make a temporary deck the appropriate height by stacking a pallet or two in the back of my jeep.

Chris

I AM IN THE MARKET FOR A RATCHET PRESS .
I WISH YOU HAD SUPPLIED A PROMO CODE FOR THE SALE .

AS FOR UNLOADING IT , I USE AN ENGINE CRANE FOR THOSE JOBS .

Back