Hobby DRO

Hey Arvidj

i just picked up some Arduino Boards to get started learning .. I wonder if this is worth it for me, instead of purchase? Anything I can do to make it better or more versatile than the ones you buy cheap?

There are a lot of things to consider.

There is a need to buy the scales in the first place. They come with displays so you would be up and running in the time it takes to accurately mount the scales.

After that the Arduino solution really is a "how much is the extra functionality worth"? You already have the Arduino boards but you would need to acquire a Blue Tooth Shield plus an Android tablet. Then you get to work out the connectivity from the Arduino to the scales, a reasonable case to put everything in, and all of the other little bits and pieces to make actually 'make it real'. All of this is well covered on his website but reading about what he has done and doing it yourself may have different results.

What might the benefits be? Once you have it all worked out you have a very powerful processor available in the Android tablet. The source code is available so if you are a developer you can very likely get it to do anything you'd like.

On the other hand, how often do you need the extra processing power. For example, to calculate a bolt circle you could perform your calculations elsewhere and then use the original bare bones system with the provided display units to get the job done.

I think it would be more of a "do I want to do this as an Arduino learning exercise" more than a "can I save any money or which is the best financial investment" activity. I am considering it as a "can I make it work with incremental encoders rather than the iGauging scales" simply as a learning experience, not as a "look at how wisely I have invested my time and money" issue. :))

Arvid

The Igaging Scales are on sale at Grizzly right now!! I just bought a few!

Bernie

Arvid,
IGaging + Arduino/Bluetooth + tablet is roughly a weekend project when you do it the first time. The latest incarnation took me 3 hours to solder, drill/mill the case and mount on the mill (Sief X3).
In addition to an Arduino you would need literally 5 resistors, a bluetooth board and a case. From ebay all that is about $30 shipped. A tablet can be had for around $100 (I use Samsung Galaxy Tab with a rubber case. It was more expensive but it doubles as a in-car TV screen for my daughter and a killer Angry Birds playing platform...). Finally, I have a lathe and a mill and can use one tablet with both, which cuts the cost down even more.

With that said, the current version of the DRO application is still pretty lame. This is my weekend project and I spend 80% of the time testing (in my mind features are secondary to the reliability, so I take it slow and steady).
The new version (coming out closer to the end of April) will have USB support for Arduino and FTDI chips, so Bluetooth will not be required, some functions and (not sure yet) a way to import/export workspaces. Version after that will (very likely) have basic G-code and Excellon drill files. The later were the reason I went with Android tablet in the first place...

Hope this makes sense

Thank you
Yuriy

P.S. I have a very basic PC application that works with the same Arduino board as well (not posted on the site, since I figured it wasn't of much use, but it doesn't require an OLD computer, so if anyone is interested I can post a file at some point)

Arvid,
IGaging + Arduino/Bluetooth + tablet is roughly a weekend project when you do it the first time. The latest incarnation took me 3 hours to solder, drill/mill the case and mount on the mill (Sief X3).
In addition to an Arduino you would need literally 5 resistors, a bluetooth board and a case. From ebay all that is about $30 shipped. A tablet can be had for around $100 (I use Samsung Galaxy Tab with a rubber case. It was more expensive but it doubles as a in-car TV screen for my daughter and a killer Angry Birds playing platform...). Finally, I have a lathe and a mill and can use one tablet with both, which cuts the cost down even more.

With that said, the current version of the DRO application is still pretty lame. This is my weekend project and I spend 80% of the time testing (in my mind features are secondary to the reliability, so I take it slow and steady).
The new version (coming out closer to the end of April) will have USB support for Arduino and FTDI chips, so Bluetooth will not be required, some functions and (not sure yet) a way to import/export workspaces. Version after that will (very likely) have basic G-code and Excellon drill files. The later were the reason I went with Android tablet in the first place...

Hope this makes sense

Thank you
Yuriy

P.S. I have a very basic PC application that works with the same Arduino board as well (not posted on the site, since I figured it wasn't of much use, but it doesn't require an OLD computer, so if anyone is interested I can post a file at some point)

Nice to here from you. I am waiting on the next version as I have a taplet that does not have blue tooth. but has 2 usb ports. What will I need to interface it to usb?

Nice to here from you. I am waiting on the next version as I have a taplet that does not have blue tooth. but has 2 usb ports. What will I need to interface it to usb?

If you decide to use Arduino, then either a USB cable or (in case of Arduino Pro) Sparkfun's FTDI cable. For MSP430 version you'll need to use the FTDI cable (connected in place of the BT module).

Thank you
Yuriy

Will the Arduino Uno Rev 3 be a good choice for the base. And then an usb B to micro usb cable for my tablet. I have the proscan 10.2" tablet.

I looked for your software on android market but could not find it. My tablet won't work with google play I have to use the older version. This is for my G0704 mill. I have Igaging scales on it now.

Oh by the way welcom to the forum. I think you will like it here.

I was searching in some newer (broken) inkjet / scanner combos and some have quite fine linear and rotary optical encoder strips made from plastic and tensioned with springs (also the sensors for them).

definitely worth a look if your trying to home brew as its free experimental parts, you could always upgrade to glass if it works out.

Stuart

Will the Arduino Uno Rev 3 be a good choice for the base. And then an usb B to micro usb cable for my tablet. I have the proscan 10.2" tablet.

I looked for your software on android market but could not find it. My tablet won't work with google play I have to use the older version. This is for my G0704 mill. I have Igaging scales on it now.

Oh by the way welcom to the forum. I think you will like it here.

Thank you :) I already like it here.

Uno will will work just fine; this is what I was using on my Mini Mill.
The "APK" files are available in the "Downloads" section of my blog. I'm not familiar with your particular tablet, but installing APK can be as easy as dropping it into the "Applications" folder on the tablet, or you might use something like "APK Installer".
Do you happen to know what version of Android OS your tablet is running? By default I was targeting 4.x, but my first version ran on 2.3 (and I still have that code, so I should be able to compile it...

Thank you
Yuriy

- - - Updated - - -

I was searching in some newer (broken) inkjet / scanner combos and some have quite fine linear and rotary optical encoder strips made from plastic and tensioned with springs (also the sensors for them).

definitely worth a look if your trying to home brew as its free experimental parts, you could always upgrade to glass if it works out.

Stuart

Stuart, glass scales work on exactly the same principle, except the "strip" is made of glass. The only tricky part is that those strips are not using tick-per-inch. Instead they work similar to a vernier scale. I.e. the ticks are much coarser, but using an array of sensort you can interpolate the position to some insane resolution.

Thank you
Yuriy

Yuriy

My tablet is running android 4.0.4 , I have the version of your software that is on your blog. I will pick up the Arduino Uno board and wait for the update version. The DRO does look good on a 10" screen. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Thanks
Marty

Yuriy,

Please do not take my comments the wrong way. I am very impressed with what you have done and even asked a couple of questions on your site related to interfacing glass scales with quadrature incremental encoders rather than the absolute interface provided by the iGauging scales.

I was simply pointing out that the goal may have needed clarification and here might be some questions to think about to determine if 'just make chips' or 'chips and more' was the goal.

I hope you are not offended by my comments and I am sincere when I say 'welcome to the group'.

Back