Hobby DRO

Wish I would have found that one about 2 weeks ago. I am right in the middle of soldering up a pcb for a Yadro.

Yeah. When I saw it I thought 'Yadro' [I happen to have one around here somewhere] only with significantly more modern technology.

Arvid

I am a home shop user.

I basically only use the Digital Calipers I adapted to my machines to get me close a finished depth of cut, and then put my attention on the hand wheels to finish the cut.

I haven't had the need to use fluid splashing everywhere to get done what I do, so I have not had issues with debris or fluids. No skipping or anything.

As far as I know, you can even cut the Rule section down to the length you want, and they still operate! But I haven't tried this.

I adapted a few actual digital calipers to my machines. ***** to drill through them, which i did, but there are easier ways to attach them.

I am interested in these iGage units Jim Shroeder mentioned to complete my machines, as they are already set up and ready to mount- and so affordable! Same price as cheap-y calipers!

Bernie

Hi from across the pond,

For what it's worth I would steer clear of the PC based system; I have just fitted a X & Y axes set up on my WM16 (US equiv' Grizzly 0704/BF20L) & the UK version I bought is the iguage system equiv' that you guys have in the states, & at a reasonable pice too £67.50.. $100.77 (at todays exch' rate). I have fitted the remote readouts in a convenient spot for me & have just used it for the first time this week..what a boon they are! just set up my datum point ..zero the readout & machine to required length/width.. job done.. no longer have to rely on the handwhheel dials :winner:, have a look at pics.. have since attached aluminium angle to protect the X axis.

Regards & have fun :D

George

I'm doing the very same as George other than I'm covering the scale inside a 1" steel channel used to cover the ends of pole barn steel. So the will be protected from above from falling chips and spray.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a home shop user.
I basically only use the Digital Calipers I adapted to my machines to get me close a finished depth of cut, and then put my attention on the hand wheels to finish the cut.
I haven't had the need to use fluid splashing everywhere to get done what I do, so I have not had issues with debris or fluids. No skipping or anything.
As far as I know, you can even cut the Rule section down to the length you want, and they still operate! But I haven't tried this.
I adapted a few actual digital calipers to my machines. ***** to drill through them, which i did, but there are easier ways to attach them.
I am interested in these iGage units Jim Shroeder mentioned to complete my machines, as they are already set up and ready to mount- and so affordable! Same price as cheap-y calipers!
Bernie

Hey, a New Jersey buddy! Bernie, you can get the Igaging units from Grizzly. Check the link I have in my previous post.

I was just thinking about a pc based DRO but heard there was a lot of latency in them. I need a dro really bad for my mill. I could live with the Igauging ones on my lathe but want a better system on my mill.

I install a three axis DRO, with precision glass scales, on my Grizzly G0619 mill last year which I purchased from TPAC Tools. It is very accurate and repeatable and has a lot of features. Bob
JUL021.jpgJUL022.jpgJUL017.jpg

JUL021.jpg JUL022.jpg JUL017.jpg

Thanks Splat!

I'll be checking Grizzly for those-I just moved my shop (and the rest of my home) to Essex County, so I am still wiring everything in. I think that's a great excuse to restart with the right DRO's on everything! Hah hah

Hey, you have a heavy Ten too!

Bernie

Hey, a New Jersey buddy! Bernie, you can get the Igaging units from Grizzly. Check the link I have in my previous post.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I should have been a little more specific about what I would be using this on. Heavy-weight user? Nope, huh-unh, not even close. My machine of choice is a Unimat SL that I bought about 40 years ago, it's what I've got so it's what I use. I build wooden models and as such I work mostly in wood, some plastic and a little brass. The only reason I was considering a PC based system is because I have a Dell laptop with XP on it that is laying around. I have yet to use any coolant so moisture is not a problem, if fact the lack of it is a definite plus.

My other machine is a tabletop CNC router/mill that I made out a salvaged New Hermes engraver - work area is 12" x 8" x 2". I use TurboCNC to run that machine. I mainly cut 0.25" or less material on it, but I have cut laminated plastic that is 1.165" thick on it - that really pushs the limits on my Z axis. I also milled the plastic parts and the aluminum faceplate that I used to rebuild the high freq. unit for my TIG.

Don

Last edited:
Back