Hobby DRO

I have a Shumatech 375 on my mini mill for the X and Y axis with the Z in the near future and couldn't be happier. I am using chinese scales that I bought on Ebay and have no issues with them so far. The hardest part I would say, is soldering the wires on the scales PCB's and then getting them back together properly. I honestly never thought a DRO would be so useful and it does greatly increase ones output speed. The only issue that I see from my system is occasional jumping on the ten thousandths digit. I believe I can change the resolution to only read to thousandths to fix the problem or go to glass scales but it doesn't bother me. I do think the PC based DRO is cool and could be beneficial to someone that has a PC in their shop but just not my bag.

I have a Shumatech 375 on my mini mill for the X and Y axis with the Z in the near future and couldn't be happier. I am using chinese scales that I bought on Ebay and have no issues with them so far. The hardest part I would say, is soldering the wires on the scales PCB's and then getting them back together properly. I honestly never thought a DRO would be so useful and it does greatly increase ones output speed. The only issue that I see from my system is occasional jumping on the ten thousandths digit. I believe I can change the resolution to only read to thousandths to fix the problem or go to glass scales but it doesn't bother me. I do think the PC based DRO is cool and could be beneficial to someone that has a PC in their shop but just not my bag.

What do you mean by "jumping"? Is it jitter from noise? I was just reading all about the Shumatech stuff and about jitter/noise. Now I don't know if I'd go with it because of what I read about the jitter.

I installed a Sinpo on my mill about 6 weeks ago. It cost $480 Canadian delivered from E-Bay,P1010775.JPG and works great, so good in fact that I got one for my lathe also.

P1010775.JPG

I was just thinking about a pc based DRO but heard there was a lot of latency in them. I need a dro really bad for my mill. I could live with the Igauging ones on my lathe but want a better system on my mill.

What do you mean by "jumping"? Is it jitter from noise? I was just reading all about the Shumatech stuff and about jitter/noise. Now I don't know if I'd go with it because of what I read about the jitter.

Splat, I don't believe it is from noise. I did install caps on the scales but previous to that step I did experience noise. The jumping is just the last digit jumping between two numbers. ie, 1.4356 and 1.4357 and back to 1.4356. it doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. From everything I have heard, the glass scales are rock solid with the shumatech.

I was surfing the web the other day and found this site http://www.caliper2pc.de/en_index.html. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this system and could give me their opinion of it. I'd like to get somebody's thoughts on this, besides the builder's, before I shell out my hard earned cash on what could be a lemon.

Don[/QU

Now if thay would come up with an Andriod app. That would be nice as there are some fairley cheap tablets out now.

Hi from across the pond,

For what it's worth I would steer clear of the PC based system; I have just fitted a X & Y axes set up on my WM16 (US equiv' Grizzly 0704/BF20L) & the UK version I bought is the iguage system equiv' that you guys have in the states, & at a reasonable pice too £67.50.. $100.77 (at todays exch' rate). I have fitted the remote readouts in a convenient spot for me & have just used it for the first time this week..what a boon they are! just set up my datum point ..zero the readout & machine to required length/width.. job done.. no longer have to rely on the handwhheel dials :winner:, have a look at pics.. have since attached aluminium angle to protect the X axis.

Regards & have fun :D

George

2013-02-12 DRO (1).jpg 2013-02-12 DRO (2).jpg 2013-02-12 DRO (3).jpg 2013-02-12 DRO (4).jpg 2013-02-12 DRO (5).jpg 2013-02-12 DRO (6).jpg

Back