Help Me Pick Out Tool Holders

I have the kit from PM too. Just want to see if Dave has some in my caliber. Thanks though...

I have the kit from PM too. Just want to see if Dave has some in my caliber. Thanks though...

That is what I guessed. You and I bought the same BXA 5/8” shank kit when we purchased our lathes.

It's your money, and you can do whatever you please with it.

But seems like a bit of a rash decision to just throw all your Aloris stuff out the door and buy all brand-spanking-new Kennametal holders. And a bunch of top-of-the-line (and well overpriced) inserts at ~$25 a pop. Those same inserts can be had from suppliers other than MSC at a small fraction of the cost. Same (probably) goes for the holders.

Are you sure you're going to like these holders? Are you confident that you like a negative rake holder? Does the stuff you're working on lend itself better to positive rake holders // inserts instead? Are you similarly going to have to ditch all your Aloris boring bars too?

Everyone on this forum is here to help make wise decisions. But we can't make your decisions for you. That said, If I were you just trying to get the hang of my new machine, I think I'd play around with HSS for a good, long while before repeatedly dropping hundreds (or likely thousands) of dollars on stuff that could put you back exactly where you are now: frustrated, annoyed, and less financially solvent than you'd prefer.

My two cents anyway.

Aloris said that they are probably going to replace the failed tool holder under warranty. The Aloris tool holders may be fine for things other than the hard turning; I’m going to keep them around. Having the insert rocking back and forth was enough for me to find a different tool holder.

Yesterday I got called in from my vacation to work one day (definitely not my idea). I spent that day’s earnings at Carbide Depot. Had I not been called in, I would not have made the Carbide Depot purchase. Also, we have a 6 income household so I don’t have too much $$ pressure. I have nothing else going on other than metalworking.

I completely agree about the HSS. I use it sometimes, and it is always less challenging. My bench grinder isn’t the best, & my grinding wheel is a very cheap one. I can grind HSS on it fine, though.

I don’t know if I will like the new geometry of these Kennametal tool holders or if the different rake will be an improvement.

The Aloris boring & threading bars are A-okay so far.

Last edited:
The Kennametal tool holders and inserts arrived today.

image.jpg

Regarding the Aloris Double Lock tool holders, one of them went back to New Jersey for warranty inspection. I took apart the other two, cleaned them & carefully put them back together. One of the inserts still rocks in the tool holder under normal use, and the other one seems to be doing fine so far.

image.jpg

I’m going to try out the Kennametal ones now.

@erikmannie I use all the older generation Kinnemetal cutter holders. All in the TPNG 300 size. I've never had a Kinnemetal insert holder fail on me: most of mine are 40 years old and still going strong.

On the 'if you can afford it' front, it is a great choice for a no-questions asked kind of holder. When buying inserts, shop around for 10 packs. I've found a 3:1 price differential on the inserts I like best. Buying in less than a pack is alwasy way more than that (unless your distributor is doing you a favour).

@erikmannie I use all the older generation Kinnemetal cutter holders. All in the TPNG 300 size. I've never had a Kinnemetal insert holder fail on me: most of mine are 40 years old and still going strong.

On the 'if you can afford it' front, it is a great choice for a no-questions asked kind of holder. When buying inserts, shop around for 10 packs. I've found a 3:1 price differential on the inserts I like best. Buying in less than a pack is alwasy way more than that (unless your distributor is doing you a favour).

What brand of inserts are you buying, and from whom?

Carbide Depot has been good so far. They have a house brand (made in Switzerland) that I am going to try.

The new tool holders are all that I expected so far.

I'm sure you will be fine with the new holders. Since you are buying current stuff (I can't even get replacement parts for mine) yours will mostly be ISO standard forms, which means you can buy from anybody.

80% of my inserts are from years ago and aren't available any more - most mine are not ISO or DIN inserts, so my information won't be useful to you.

On the other hand, what you find and what your experiences are will help me when I have to upgrade my holders: Once I run out, I'll have to buy new insert holders myself!

One triangle insert I use - ironically - is readily available from bangood - it is a T series 322, but I will have to dig to locate it. I'm moving all the machines in my shop (again) to make room, and to get a better layout. The tool holders are buried right now. when I get there, I'll PM you (it'll be awhile) for light work and customizing for finish, the offshore inserts work well, if treated with kid gloves

Yesterday I was able to work with the new tool holders & inserts for about 3 hours. The first thing that I noticed is that my issue with achieving a poor surface finish seemed to disappear. The only thing that I had changed was the tool holder and insert. Huge difference.

Back