Help Me Pick Out Tool Holders

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am DONE with my Aloris tool holders. I have had a lot of problems with them, starting with the insert rocking back & forth in the tool holder...when it is tightened! The Aloris tech guy can’t even return a phone call probably because he knows these tool holders have a faulty design. I don’t know about Aloris; their products are expensive & don’t always carry corresponding value.

I want to buy RH and LH tool holders (for turning & facing steel), & I want to give Kennametal a shot. My CXA toolposts can hold a 7/8”, but I am thinking 3/4” X 3/4”.

A typical example project would be up to 3/4” of radial roughing & then trying to get a nice finish.

I don’t know why I always end up working on steel, but I know that I am lazy and want to be able to use a magnet to help clean up.

I won’t have 12L14 in the shop. I use 1018, 1045, 4140 and stuff like that.

I would also appreciate recommendations for specific inserts that fit in the tool holders.

Thanks to those who help me. My lathe is 5 HP, 220V 3 phase.

Last edited:
I don’t like the Sure Lock/Double Lock designs. I want something more simple and bombproof.

Yeah . I have the top notches in the basement . What are the issues with the Aloris ?

So , you're having issues with the Aloris holders and inserts ? I would hope you are putting quality inserts in them . You wanna buy Kennemetal holders and inserts , you move up to the the big time . Not cheap for the hobbyist . All holders and inserts are pre-sat and are garrenteed ( sp ) .

Most hobby people don't need this precision . I needed it . You don't throw s**t inserts in an expensive holder , and you don't throw $10 inserts in a shi* holder . You get what you pay for in the long rung . Kennemetal , Valenite , Iscar Carboloy . FT Chinese crap . Only my opinion .

Only a minimum level staff member here as you know . The dead center 6 mt ? Why ? It's an interesting watch but is not useable ,:dunno:

Only a minimum level staff member here as you know . The dead center 6 mt ? Why ? It's an interesting watch but is not useable ,:dunno:

The MT 6 1/2 dead centers that I made are used weekly. My PM-1660TL has a Morse Taper #6 1/2, & it came with a MT 6 1/2 to MT4 reducing sleeve. That dead center is 2 pieces and only has an MT4 center sticking out. I wanted a single piece, heavy & rigid dead center. Of course, nothing wrong with the sleeve and MT4 as it came from the factory.

I buy my inserts directly from Aloris.

My issues with Aloris, particularly the double lock tool holder are many. Things came to a critical mass when the Aloris insert was rocking back & forth every 2mm while turning M16-2.0 steel all thread. OK, so I thought I had forgotten to tighten the insert. Nope, it was tight. Took it apart, cleaned it, tightened it & the same thing happened. Fail.

So I call Aloris to speak with the tech guy. He is busy, but she said that he would call back in a few hours. Nope, never called back. Fail.

I have spent a LOT on Aloris products, & I think I should be able to ask about the issue with the rocking insert. I would guess that it is wear, but I guess I am left to wonder and move on to doing business with another company.

I would like to go into detail about the weak design of the Aloris double lock tool holders, but I don’t wish to spend any more of my time on those tool holders. In short, the design seems to succeed in looking good for marketing rather than holding up under work. The tool holders look great: svelte, even aerodynamic, but unnecessarily complex and very weak. Bombproof would be better.

Is anybody able to recommend Kennametal RH & LH tool holders and inserts for them? Maybe I should just call Kennametal directly?

These are the tool holders that I wore out in about 100 hours:

I figure that the tapered pin in the middle of the insert wears prematurely, or maybe I am rough on my equipment. I don’t know because I have yet to get in touch with their tech department. Aloris lost a customer today.

Ok , after my daily 1 hour sleep . I am only here for advise and i get paid nothing for it . Never needed a dead center in a spindle sleeve , number one . What's your point ? Number two .

Aloris makes the best tool holders and posts . Worldwide and BIC period . Kennemetal is also Best in Class with their holders . Could be a variance in the inserts vs the holders you are experiecincing but I doubt it . Could it be user error ? You tightening up the cam pin the correct direction ?

I have both Aloris and Kennemetal crap in the basement as well as the shop . Neither have have done me wrong over the 45 years of using them . I can only say that your lost interest in Aloris won't swing any shop owners opinions as to there quality standards . God forgive me , but maybe go Chineisium if you dare .

Back