Help Me Pick Out Tool Holders

Ok , after my daily 1 hour sleep . I am only here for advise and i get paid nothing for it . Never needed a dead center in a spindle sleeve , number one . What's your point ? Number two .

Aloris makes the best tool holders and posts . Worldwide and BIC period . Kennemetal is also Best in Class with their holders . Could be a variance in the inserts vs the holders you are experiecincing but I doubt it . Could it be user error ? You tightening up the cam pin the correct direction ?

I have both Aloris and Kennemetal crap in the basement as well as the shop . Neither have have done me wrong over the 45 years of using them . I can only say that your lost interest in Aloris won't swing any shop owners opinions as to there quality standards . God forgive me , but maybe go Chineisium if you dare .

I avoid Chinesium at all costs, & certainly for anything that matters.

I put a dead center in the spindle to turn between centers.

Buy the above linked Aloris Double Lock Tool holder & the inserts that Aloris sells with them and give ‘er a spin (pun intended). I will bet dollars to donuts that those double lock tool holders end up worn out after a few hundred hours. One of mine, purchased in the Summer of 2020, is literally in my garbage can as we speak.

I have these 2 items in my MSC cart, waiting on further responses from the Hobby Machine Forum crew:

and

DF6C913B-C5B7-4392-8731-A6434D5F621B.png

EC581C22-5D29-49DF-824F-345F08DB610B.png

I looked at some Kennemetal inserts at Carbide Depot’s website, but there were a few too many to choose from (roughing, fine finishing, etc.). I need to do more research.

Last edited:
I would buy those worn out insert holders , post them for sale below . You are the lathe owner and can use it as warrented . My opinion is what is worth $.02 . I would look into the insert type before selling .

I would buy those worn out insert holders , post them for sale below . You are the lathe owner and can use it as warrented . My opinion is what is worth $.02 . I would look into the insert type before selling .

I have a RH and neutral that anyone can buy. I also have about 9 new A6 inserts, all Aloris products purchased directly from them.

Here are the links:

and

and

This is from my order history:

43705E98-475A-4AC0-BF5A-303A2AE271BA.png

Last edited:
Once again , you need Kenemetals ? Top knotch ? I know where they are . :grin:

Once again , you need Kenemetals ? Top knotch ? I know where they are . :grin:

I will happily buy your Kennametal tool holders. I need to turn, face & maybe chamfer. I am also known to turn away from the headstock. Trade me for my Aloris junk & my cash. Text to (707)293-8973. You & I have done this before.

I have slept for 1 hour tonight/today . I have Kennemetals . I'm running up to the 7/11 and will be back in a few .

What size post are you running ?

I have a RH and neutral that anyone can buy. I also have about 9 new A6 inserts, all Aloris products purchased directly from them.

Here are the links:

and

and

This is from my order history:

View attachment 354773
Personally, I would not use these aloris holders for anything but light roughing. I am sure they are of fine quality, but the design is not heavy duty at all.

As far as the Kennametal upgrade, the 35 degree inserts you have in your cart are a relatively weak geometry for roughing. Stick with a stronger insert shape like 80° for heavy roughing, and those 35° tools for finishing and light to medium profiling cuts. Technically, the 3xx series 35° insert can take up to 3mm radial doc, but I would avoid doing so unless you are turning a more forgiving material. They tend to chip in steel very easily due to the relatively weak angle.

You say .75" radial roughing in steel, and I hope each cut depth is within the capability of your Aloris inserts.

I suggest having an experienced machinist present, maybe even video your whole process to help us potentially save you some money.

I, too, think Aloris is of very high quality and use many of their products over the past 25 years without issue. Sorry to agree with the previous poster, but I would put my money on user error.

Back