Help Me Pick Out Tool Holders

For inserts, the carbidedepot.com tech guy recommended the following for machining carbon and alloy steels:

View attachment 354802

and

View attachment 354803
Those are good options. A smaller lathe might not be able to use the negative rake trigon rougher, but your lathe has plenty of power.

Personally, I don't like 80 degree tools for finishing as they are prone to dragging chips due to the clearance angle hugging the workpiece, but not an issue if you don't mind compensating by angling your QCTP. I like to keep mine square and get clearance from the insert geometry. Different strokes for different folks.

Those are good options. A smaller lathe might not be able to use the negative rake trigon rougher, but your lathe has plenty of power.

Personally, I don't like 80 degree tools for finishing as they are prone to dragging chips due to the clearance angle hugging the workpiece, but not an issue if you don't mind compensating by angling your QCTP. I like to keep mine square and get clearance from the insert geometry. Different strokes for different folks.

Good point about the 80° tool; I have been working with 60° inserts this whole time which has generally resulted in poor surface finishes.

At this point, I am happy to have a tool holder that will keep the insert securely seated. Of course, there is substantial operator error going on here.

Last edited:
Good point about the 80° tool; I have been working with 60° inserts this whole time.

At this point, I am happy to have a tool holder that will keep the insert securely seated.
If you really want your insert to go a long way you can grab an 80 degree rougher (CNMG4 style), use up the 4 tips then have 4 more tips to use in this type of holder (for reference only). A total of 8 insert tips to use, with 4 of them unable to turn a square shoulder.

While that sounds good on paper, you probably will never set this holder up as it would fall very low on the heirarchy of usage.

Trigon is a healthy compromise with 6 tips.

I have used Aloris holders on my 19" Regal for over 40 years now, but not the negative rake diamond shaped one shown, I use the TPG and TNU inserts held in the Aloris combination double ended holders for turning and facing; the TP inserts cut more freely than TN inserts and holders, which I reserve for interrupted cuts. Turning down threaded stock is a severe operation and should probably be done with a top clamp type holder to eliminate the rocking of the insert.

Making a trip to the basement in a minute or 2 . Will report back Erik .

Holy crud, that was expensive.

A3F63D62-0461-409F-AA29-76A96AFD564E.png

I have a BXA, and need holders for that too, if you find any.

Have to re-run back down to the post office . Back in a flash . :)

I have BXA tool holders & inserts that I bought from Precision Matthews. I was planning to use them as a reserve, but I would be willing to sell them.

I will upload some more pictures if you are interested in these import tool holders. I have never used them.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back