Have a chance to purchase Lathe - need advice

Don’t try to lock, this may be interesting to others.

1) It’s pretty important to get the numbers right up front. 0.003” runout is a world away from 0.0003”.
2) The Acra shown is so much more machine for less money…than any PM machine.
3) It’s a few dB harder to move a 3750# lathe than a 1500# lathe, but you’re not moving either by hand or a couple strong friends. And when you run them, wow, now you see.
I believe I stated runout was around 0.0003?? If not, I apologize.
His statement, which I copied and pasted, stated 0.00035 after bearing replacement.

*Edit - I see where I stated .003 - I've fixed that. Thanks

Last edited:
@jareese I am going to throw this out there...
It appears that the PM1440GT is on backorder, with numerous members mentioning how delivery dates were changed without notification, etc., so who knows how long your wait will really be.
I purchased an Eisen 14440E in February 2021 and have been quite happy with it. They currently have two in stock. You will notice that it says 1-phase power, which is true, but there is a VFD on the machine, and the motor is 3-phase. Admittedly the VFD is not a great VFD, but worst case scenario, it can easily be upgraded.
The Eisen lathe comes with a DRO already installed, which is a $1000 option on the PM1440GT, although PM's does appear to be a little nicer. When I purchased mine, I talked to Jason and pointed out that eBay charges 12% on sales, and if I bought it from their website, they should throw in a discount.

Eisen 1440E on eBay
Or their website...
Eisen Machinery 1440E

I am so impressed with all the wealthy hobby machinists here. There is a Takisawa TSL-1000 on eBay now with a lot of accessories, looks very clean, for $6950 or best offer. It weighs more than twice as much as these 1440 lathes, but doesn’t take up any more room. This is a real lathe. But, sure spend 10K or 12K, that can be done. Note how many times there is a startup infancy failure or manufacturing problem with these machines. Oh heck, do what you want, it’s your money. :)

@jareese I am going to throw this out there...
It appears that the PM1440GT is on backorder, with numerous members mentioning how delivery dates were changed without notification, etc., so who knows how long your wait will really be.
I purchased an Eisen 14440E in February 2021 and have been quite happy with it. They currently have two in stock. You will notice that it says 1-phase power, which is true, but there is a VFD on the machine, and the motor is 3-phase. Admittedly the VFD is not a great VFD, but worst case scenario, it can easily be upgraded.
The Eisen lathe comes with a DRO already installed, which is a $1000 option on the PM1440GT, although PM's does appear to be a little nicer. When I purchased mine, I talked to Jason and pointed out that eBay charges 12% on sales, and if I bought it from their website, they should throw in a discount.

Eisen 1440E on eBay
Or their website...
Eisen Machinery 1440E
I agree with Neil. I have that same machine and have been over-the-top satisfied with it. Back when I bought mine (and I believe Neil as well), there were two major differences between the Eisen and the Precision Matthews. The PM had a larger bore - plus for them. You could larger stock than on the Eisen. But the Eisen had a much heavier base cabinet. I opted for the heavier unit because of the stability. I've had a time or two when I wish I had a bigger bore, but knowing what I know now, I'd still go for the Eisen. And, as Neil noted, go to Eisen direct. You'll get a better deal. And Jason is very easy to work with.

I think you'll be much happier with a new unit. The Eisen is my third lathe but the first new one. It blows the other two away.

Regards

I just provided a draft Excel workbook to @Larry$ which generates all of the possible TPI and metric threads via the gears on the PM1440HD. Maybe this will help you in your decision. I found the gear box to be somewhat limiting and somewhat confusing, but I suppose once you get used to it you can do fine. Anyway, it has 8 unique gear ratios to generate the base threads, plus two 2x multiplier knobs. Otherwise you have to use the external gears. You will find the workbook here
I have completed a draft of the Excel Workbook. It is attached in compressed format as it has the operational Macros in it. HM will not just let you attach and Excel workbook with macros so I hid this fact by compressing it to .zip file.
The earlier versions of this were posted here:
TPI Feeds X-Feeds: Generalized Excel file for your Lathe

PS. I agree with the other folks. If you can afford it get a Taiwan made lathe. The probability of it being "good" is better. I have the PM1440GT (made in Taiwan). It is not that the China made machines are always bad, but it seems that the QC is such that there are more lemons coming from China than from Taiwan. Luck of the draw?

Good luck,

Dave L.

I am so impressed with all the wealthy hobby machinists here. There is a Takisawa TSL-1000 on eBay now with a lot of accessories, looks very clean, for $6950 or best offer. It weighs more than twice as much as these 1440 lathes, but doesn’t take up any more room. This is a real lathe. But, sure spend 10K or 12K, that can be done. Note how many times there is a startup infancy failure or manufacturing problem with these machines. Oh heck, do what you want, it’s your money. :)
I have no way of getting it as they do not offer shipping. It seems to be located in California, I am in Wisconsin.

I have no way of getting it as they do not offer shipping. It seems to be located in California, I am in Wisconsin.
It looks like they might offer shipping. The ad description says to call them before bidding if you want the item shipped. They appear to be a machinery company so I can't imagine they wouldn't offer that service. Just a thought @jareese

It looks like they might offer shipping. The ad description says to call them before bidding if you want the item shipped. They appear to be a machinery company so I can't imagine they wouldn't offer that service. Just a thought @jareese
Thanks, I didn't see that - admittedly I only scanned it.

**EDIT
Actually, after reading the details it still says for Pickup Only.

Shipping and handling
Item location:
Oxnard, California, United States
Ships to:
Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping).
Excludes:

Get Rates
Local pickup
You can contact your seller to arrange to pay for and pick up your item.

Excellent condition Precision Matthews PM 1440BV lathe with 2" spindle bore , DRO and 220v VFD drive.
Main spindle bearings were upgraded to a set of $700 FAG bearings about 2 years ago.
Includes a $1k Bison 4 jaw chuck as well as the factory new 4 jaw and 3 jaw chucks.
I don't ever remember using the steady or follow rests nor the micro carriage stop either.
I've never used a knurling tool on this machine nor have I parted off any steel, just aluminum for custom pillars for bedding.
The factory brake and sump/coolant system were removed but they are included and can be user reinstalled if you want to.
Machine is currently still being used and under power.
Machine was purchased new in 2016.

I backed out of the deal.
Thanks everyone for your input.
You made a wise decision. the two points in red should have killed the deal anyways. there is *no reason* to replace the spindle bearings unless he has crashed it or Brinelled the bearings. If he has, the lathe is worth less than 50% of his ask. There is *no way* Matt would have let it be shipped out with poor quality bearings. AND the main bearing has a shim used to preload the Timken bearing. A competent machinist would have put in a thicker spacer. -- it feels like he is unloading a piece of junk at new price. If he has removed the brake it is a serious red flag.

FWIW and YMMV, I'd say save up a few bucks and go for the Taiwanese version of the PM 1440.

-- Here's the thought. You pay more because it has better quality control and has better features. Buying new, it is properly checked out and arrives in the correct shipping crate. Get tailgate delivery. It is 100% worth it. Most guys will pallet it right into your garage. For an average home shop guy this is worth a *lot*.

Back