Have a chance to purchase Lathe - need advice

And that's just for starters. You're in the heart of used machine tool country!
Oofff - that is way too big for anything that I'm going to need, or be able to transport!

He has the machine listed as "pending" now so I don't know if you already struck up a deal or it was someone else, but I think that's way too much for a 7 year old machine, even lightly used and with the extra $1,200 worth of stuff thrown in.

The $700 figure for bearings is extremely low...to the point I would be suspicious. I also wonder why he removed the factory brake and coolant system...seems odd.

He's a gunsmith, so not being in a production environment is a plus, but I still see a 7 year old machine with an asking price close to new.

Oofff - that is way too big for anything that I'm going to need, or be able to transport!
But it gives you an idea of what a 14" lathe really ought to weigh.

I have a South Bend 14-1/2" lathe of about the same working envelope as the Acra-Turn. It weighs 2300 pounds--500 pounds more than the PM--and is also equipped with a 2-HP motor like the PM. It's also no picnic to move. Most consider the old South Bend a light industrial lathe, but lots of machinists would think it a "gentleman's lathe" rather than a "workin'-man's lathe" (and that would not be a compliment, nor would that be the exact terminology one would hear).

I'm not sure the Acra-Turn would really consume much more space than the PM--they have about the same working envelope.

But that motor power gives you an idea of the rigidity built into that machine.

Rick "who said anything about need?" Denney

I backed out of the deal.
Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I'm going to go with a new PM1440GT like I was originally thinking.
That's a really nice machine that most people would be thrilled to have. I've been looking at that or the Tl as my retirement present (under 3 years now!).

The TL is definitely a more stout machine for sure, more than I need, and past my budget by a lot. The GT is at my max, and a little over with accessories for the original purchase anyway. Already have most if not all of the measuring devices (I think) and quite a bit of the tooling. I'm setting up a brand new shop as this is a first for me and a totally new adventure. I'm stoked and looking forward to learning something new and exciting.

He "says" the runout is ~0.003 with the new bearings, replaced because he didn't like the OEM bearing runout.
???? .003" seems excessive to me. Assuming that is being measured on the spindle taper.
On my Chinese 1440 with original bearings I barely get any wiggle on a dial test indicator running on the spindle taper.

I don't see a way to lock the thread - I'm not going forward with this machine.

Don’t try to lock, this may be interesting to others.

1) It’s pretty important to get the numbers right up front. 0.003” runout is a world away from 0.0003”.
2) The Acra shown is so much more machine for less money…than any PM machine.
3) It’s a few dB harder to move a 3750# lathe than a 1500# lathe, but you’re not moving either by hand or a couple strong friends. And when you run them, wow, now you see.

Back