Have a chance to purchase Lathe - need advice

I have that same lathe bought new and had no problems with the bearings. I'm not using it 8-10 hours a day either.
A Bison chuck would be nice. I kick myself now for not upgrading at the time of purchase.
All my tooling is 3/4 because that's what I had when I bought my lathe.

I have that same lathe bought new and had no problems with the bearings. I'm not using it 8-10 hours a day either.
A Bison chuck would be nice. I kick myself now for not upgrading at the time of purchase.
All my tooling is 3/4 because that's what I had when I bought my lathe.
I have .003 run out on mine. I need to check again, I don't think it was that much.

I have .003 run out on mine. I need to check again, I don't think it was that much.
Here is his comment on the runout:

Just checked spindle run out and it's .00035. For reference factory max tolerance permissible is .025mm= .000984 and before I changed the bearings it was .02mm= .00078 . So the new FAG bearings cut the run out by half!

See if he can send you a video, or post one on youtube, of the lathe under power. Post a link to it here, and let the experts chime in. They'll see things that we hobbyists won't.

Regards

I'd take David's advice in Post #3. It's a used, overpriced, mainland China machine. If you're going to drop $9k+ on a lathe, there are far better options. If it had nearly a thou of spindle runout when the guy got it, the QC department was obviously not looking when it went out the door. Who knows what else they missed?

I would ask why he is selling it
He "says" the runout is ~0.003 with the new bearings, replaced because he didn't like the OEM bearing runout. He has 3 lathes, a PM1440GT, this one and another, he only needs/wants 2 so he's selling the less expensive of the 3. Makes sense.
He has thrown in some things that would increase my new parts purchase cost to ~$1200 just for these items.

I'll be heading down next week to see it.
The space I have for it is nowhere near ready, so it will be sitting in storage oiled heavily and covered with an old sheet or two.

I'd take David's advice in Post #3. It's a used, overpriced, mainland China machine. If you're going to drop $9k+ on a lathe, there are far better options. If it had nearly a thou of spindle runout when the guy got it, the QC department was obviously not looking when it went out the door. Who knows what else they missed?
Got any listings of some within 6 hours of 53588 zip?

0.00035” runout still seems high, the runout on my 1236T doesn’t register on my tenths indicator.

You don’t know if he correctly replaced the spindle bearings, you could be in for more issues down the line. $700 for a set of bearings for a lathe that size sounds low. I would want to know what bearing numbers he used, and more importantly, where he bought them. If he got them on Ebay, that would be a hard pass.

Got any listings of some within 6 hours of 53588 zip?

And that's just for starters. You're in the heart of used machine tool country!

Back