Have a chance to purchase Lathe - need advice

Back to the topic of the post, I would not recommend buying a used lathe unless you could inspect it and know how to determine its condition. I have heard of way too many people that have had to rebuild their machine, regrind the bed and/or try to source fabricate worn out parts. If that is your goal, then go used, but assuming that a heavier industrial lathe with years of use is going to be in great condition is a bit pie in the sky and more of a gamble. Machine clearing houses just list the machine and you have no idea of its history or wear/function, the usual story is it came out of a working shop. Even with a video, I have yet seen any of these vendors give details as to wear or any measurements, they are only interested in making the sale. Similar to used cars, they might clean them up and do a cheap paint job, but underneath who knows what you are going to find. If buying a used machine do your research, know the features and what you want/need, don't just buy it because someone else tells you about it. Sorry, but I have seen too many people buy parts/machines based on someone else's eBay link not knowing the full details and find out later that it was a mistake. If buying a new lathe, you can also get bitten buying some of the less expensive Chinese mainland built lathes, they may come with more tooling, but in most cases it is cheap and you will probably replace it all in the long run. Taiwanese machines tend to be better built, but at the end of the day there are just a few lathe manufactures in the 12K and under range. Warranty and dealer reputation are also considerations.

I agree that bigger/heavier machines is usually better, but it depends on what one intends to use it for. Shipping and offloading becomes much more of a significant issue when you get above ~1500 lbs which is around the maximum for a lift gate truck, get into the heavier machines you need a fork lift to get it off the flatbed when it arrives and that assume it is relatively close to you house w/o any difficult terrain. One reason why the 1440GT lathe and for that matter the 935 mill are attractive is that they can be more easily shipped and delivered, while offering good capabilities at a price point. Unfortunately machine supply is limited, and pricing has skyrocketed the last couple of years.

@jareese I am going to throw this out there...
It appears that the PM1440GT is on backorder, with numerous members mentioning how delivery dates were changed without notification, etc., so who knows how long your wait will really be.
I purchased an Eisen 14440E in February 2021 and have been quite happy with it. They currently have two in stock. You will notice that it says 1-phase power, which is true, but there is a VFD on the machine, and the motor is 3-phase. Admittedly the VFD is not a great VFD, but worst case scenario, it can easily be upgraded.
The Eisen lathe comes with a DRO already installed, which is a $1000 option on the PM1440GT, although PM's does appear to be a little nicer. When I purchased mine, I talked to Jason and pointed out that eBay charges 12% on sales, and if I bought it from their website, they should throw in a discount.

Eisen 1440E on eBay
Or their website...
Eisen Machinery 1440E
Thanks 7 - I'm currently working with Eisen on a 1440EV with a nice discount on the machine and some accessories, after messaging them from Ebay.

Thanks 7 - I'm currently working with Eisen on a 1440EV with a nice discount on the machine and some accessories, after messaging them from Ebay.
You'll love it.

You'll love it.
Hope so - huge investment. What forum should I use for questions on this manufacturer? (Should probably take this out of the PM forum)

That is a great choice of a lathe, I know quite a few people that have purchased that model and have been very happy with it.

Hope so - huge investment. What forum should I use for questions on this manufacturer? (Should probably take this out of the PM forum)
There's one on 'Asian Lathes and Mills'. Or you could just put on 'General Home Machine Shop Discussions'. Probably the latter would get more hits.

Regards

Do we need a sub forum for Eisen? I am unsure as to how much traffic it would get.

Back