Grizzly T-handle tap wrench question

Yes, model 328
Looking for specs on that. What size taps will that one hold.

On another note found that unlike starrett where I would have to buy 3, I can get from 0-1/2 but buying just two GTD wrenches. Much more economical as well.

I have reached out to Starrett to see if they have a 3 wrench set for a little lower price. Otherwise would be about $130+ to get that range

I have the usual assortment of rhe two common styles of wrenches covering taps from 0-80 to more than 1". I needed a tap wrench that would allow the use of a tap follower for larger taps. I found this Irwin tap wrench which allowed the used of a 3/8" socket wrench.
Irwin Tap Wrench.JPG
It will accommodate taps to 9/16" and I made a custom tap follower to fit the socket. I was impressed with the quality of the wrench. It uses a chuck rather than the typical collet found on this type of wrench. The 1" hex allows for tap shattering torque and the 3/8" socket permits use of a standard 3/8" ratchet should tha need ever arise. I was impressed enough that I bought the smaller brother which will seat taps as small as 0-80 or M.25- .25mm. My custom tap follower has a 1.5" travel which is convenient for use with larger taps and has two tips, a standard cone point and a 3/8" cylinder with countersunk end for use with the above wrench.

A 93C lists for $61.00 new on Starrett's website. https://starrett.com/category/111607#currentPage=1&displayMode=grid&itemsPerPage=12&sortBy=wp/asc

Pretty sure you can find something cheaper on one of the various websites... Can find them used on the bay for less.
I wish their 93a went up to at least 7/32 that way would only need to buy the 93A and 93C. Probably could get buy without that 1/16th but hard to say. Maybe buy the A&C then if ever needed the B at a later date?

I wish their 93a went up to at least 7/32 that way would only need to buy the 93A and 93C. Probably could get buy without that 1/16th but hard to say. Maybe buy the A&C then if ever needed the B at a later date?
I have the 93A and 93B. Haven't needed the C yet. Also have the 91A & B. If I need to go to 1/2", then I will have to bite the bullet and get something. The C's are a bit more expensive.

I know this is one item that should last a lifetime but most I see on eBay are around $75 each decent looking ones anyway. Would love to own them but was thinking something a little less expensive since I am on a tight budget being disabled and all.
Starrett 93A/B/C set would be ~$140 on Amazon.

Have had 2 projects in the last week alone that needed half inch and 12mm.
I have the 93A and 93B. Haven't needed the C yet. Also have the 91A & B. If I need to go to 1/2", then I will have to bite the bullet and get something. The C's are a bit more expensive.

I've only needed to use my 91C a few times. 91D I have never had the need for but I did have the urge to buy it from time to time to "complete the set". I probably should have bought back when I wanted it, won't buy it at today's prices.

Well, not totally convinced on which set I am going to buy but this has been helpful for sure.

Well, not totally convinced on which set I am going to buy but this has been helpful for sure.
I'm probably not much help as part of buying tools is personal preference. I wasn't interested in hunting down old no longer manufactured reputable USA ones. So I just went with Starrett. Still USA made & still available today, although pricey especially now.

Here's what I have for Starrett, purchased over the years. I do have some other stuff I use.

T-style tap handle:
93A
93B

Straight tap handle
91A
91B
91C

I mostly use the T-style on the lathe but not always & occasionally on the mill and if I need to do free hand tapping. I prefer using the straight tap handles more whenever I can.

Back