Grizzly T-handle tap wrench question

Wildvortex

Registered
Registered
I am looking at buying a set of these but have questions even the techs at grizzly are unable to answer about them

Does anyone have this set? How is the quality? More important and the question they could not answer, do they have the indent for a tap follow??

I don't own one but it doesn't appear that they they have a countersink. On a similar tap wrench, the ratchet mechanism would prevent the countersink. It might be a useful tool in some instances but I would opt for the conventional style as a first purchase.

I am looking at buying a set of these but have questions even the techs at grizzly are unable to answer about them

Does anyone have this set? How is the quality? More important and the question they could not answer, do they have the indent for a tap follow??
I have a Craftsman version that I got probably 30 years ago when they were US. It doesn’t have a locating center hole, and I probably haven’t used it more than a half dozen times: the ratchet sounds like a good idea, but in practice it’s a pain to flip it every couple of turns so you can break the chips. I should get rid of it, but since it lives in the same box as my Starrett T-Wrenches, I wouldn’t be creating any additional storage space so why bother?

I have never seen a ratcheting tap wrench of that style with a center feature for the tap follower. I had a couple of those at work, paid good money for them 25 or 30 years ago. I probably still have them, but I haven't seen them in years. With any luck, I loaned them to somebody and they never came back. The ratchet feature sounds like a good idea, but in my experience, it wasn't a good idea. I'm a big fan of the sliding T handle type (just like the ones linked, except no ratchet, and obviously, the handle slides.

Now of course, just to the common availability of the ratcheting type, I have to suspect that at there's at least someone disagrees with me. I'd recommend at least "thinking through the motions" when you're tapping. It took me about ten seconds to start to resent the ratcheting mechanism that I spend a boatload of money on.

Just looking at the pictures of the Grizzly ones, they look like kind of the same general idea as what my older ones are (were?) The cutout that allows the ratcheting occupies the space where a center would be, so I THINK... Just by pictures, I THINK that the Grizzly set will not have the ability you're looking for.

I have some old USA-made incarnation of said ratchet driver. I can't stand the thing. I'll take a GTD or Millers Falls plain Jane tap holder anytime. I guess this is one area where I want "full manual control" to make back cuts and what not. There is no better mousetrap, there is only reliable quality and garbage carp, and I'm done wasting time with garbage carp. If you buy this tool now, you will have to buy another, more suitable tool later. Unless... what are the chances the next ten posts are from people saying the carppy ratchet handle is the best thing ever? It could happen, but I won't hold my breath on it :hate:.

Unless... what are the chances the next ten posts are from people saying the carppy ratchet handle is the best thing ever? It could happen, but I won't hold my breath on it :hate:.
The ratcheting tap handle I have is probably 20 yrs old now & is the best thing ever...... one of the best ever useless things to take up space in a tool box drawer. :D

It's been so long that I have touched it I forgot what drawer it's buried in. I never understood the use of a ratcheting tap handle. They're so inconvenient when you have to back off to clear chips. I much rather use a fixed tap handle or power tap if the tap type & material allows. Maybe they have a good use for something, like ratcheting screwdrivers, but not for me. I think the last time I actually used it was for a screw extractor.

I know some people like ratcheting screwdrivers & it depends on the use but I never liked using them, not even when I worked on cars for a living. I can't recall ever hearing someone say they prefer ratcheting tap handles though. :dunno:

I know some people like ratcheting screwdrivers & it depends on the use but I never liked using them, not even when I worked on cars for a living.
This is a perfect analogy. I think the ratcheting tap handle and the ratcheting screwdriver were both invented by the Chinese government to keep their manufacturing sector occupied for the next great 100-year plan. It's gumball machine junk and Cracker Jack prizes shaped like tools.

I think I put my ratcheting t-handled booger plucker in the pass around box last year, and this thread makes me realize I might owe someone here an apology for that.

Although I own a few just because I've never met a tool I don't like , these ratcheting handles are strictly for plastic or just lock the ratchet and use as a normal tap handle . Trying to reverse the ratchet in a die is usually followed by a loud snap which keeps the edm machines busy . :grin:

This is a perfect analogy. I think the ratcheting tap handle and the ratcheting screwdriver were both invented by the Chinese government to keep their manufacturing sector occupied for the next great 100-year plan. It's gumball machine junk and Cracker Jack prizes shaped like tools.
Haha! I think it may have been one of those "As Seen on TV" gimmicks. If anyone wants to buy one, might see one on QVC late night if ya still have cable TV. :big grin:

rth_qvc.jpg

I think I put my ratcheting t-handled booger plucker in the pass around box last year, and this thread makes me realize I might owe someone here an apology for that. :D
Ah no need for an apology. When the pass around box comes back around to you, the ratcheting t-handle will still be in the box. :D

Back