Got me a Heavy 10

Any idea why the 24t gear is the only gear that’s got wear? Maybe the lathe was used for one single operation for a long time.

That's not unheard of. They weren't purchased as hobby lathes, but usually for a specific purpose. What does the pinion gear look like?

That's not unheard of. They weren't purchased as hobby lathes, but usually for a specific purpose. What does the pinion gear look like?
(Original response: It looks pretty normal, actually. Better than the 24t gear.)

Edited: So I was finally able to identify the pinion gear. I had a hard time visualizing how everything mated up when they were apart. Anyway, the pinion gear looked pretty much like the 24t gear in terms of wear.

DD3283F1-760E-411B-8335-1D15227350A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Quick question before reassembly…

Is this the correct placement of the bushings on the gearbox (see pics)?

6341A641-6150-46F9-989E-8B5262F90E07.jpeg

FD480F15-781A-4CB1-B84A-1C6A61CF36E5.jpeg

I thought I marked it up but must have removed the markings during cleaning/polishing. Thanks.

The Renovation Guide, page 55, shows the correct orientation of the bushings.

The Renovation Guide, page 55, shows the correct orientation of the bushings.
I was specifically verifying where to put the shorter one vs the longer one.

I have the Ilion renovation book and I didn’t find it on pg 55 unless I missed it somehow. But since the bushings are installed from the outside-in, I think it’ll be obvious when I start reassembling the gearbox and there will be no penalty for getting it wrong the first time around.

Thanks.

This picture from page 55 shows that the two bushings are proud of the surface by about 3/32-1/8". So my guess is that the short one goes in the short hole and the longer one goes... well, you know. Also, there should be oil holes that line up with the passages from the oilers. I don't have a single tumbler gear box, so everything I say is just speculation.

1663036343887.png

This picture from page 55 shows that the two bushings are proud of the surface by about 3/32-1/8". So my guess is that the short one goes in the short hole and the longer one goes... well, you know. Also, there should be oil holes that line up with the passages from the oilers. I don't have a single tumbler gear box, so everything I say is just speculation.

View attachment 420251
Yep, that’s my assessment as well. The oil holes should line up when the set screws are in.

I’m trying to slow down and be really careful as I don’t want to break anything.

After the gearbox, I’ll work on the apron and then the spindle. Things will grind to a halt if I end up breaking something.
Thanks.

Working on the apron. I found this homemade looking washer between the right worm collar and bushing. It looks like it’s hand cut.

I’m thinking I should leave it off upon reassembly.

B111CF68-E30C-4055-89E9-A0C4B9C97320.jpeg

I’ll give it more thought when I’m reassembling the apron. I don’t see any red flags (yet) in terms of wear of the apron parts and it’s not listed in the Parts List nor the Ilion Refurb book.

It probably was used to remove some play in the carriage handwheel. The previous owner put in a washer instead of redrilling the location of the pin in the worm.

Back