Got me a Heavy 10

How are you finding the heavy 10? There’s one for sale at what seems to be a reasonable price that I’m tempted by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be honest, I wish it had more swing. A 14 or 16 would have been ideal for me.

But overall, I really enjoy using the Heavy 10. Mine came with the telescopic taper attachment, which came in handy twice already. I wish it had come with a steady rest and follow rest though.

With the 5c collet draw-tube, I can quickly chuck up some round stock and get to work.

I’m currently boring out the stuck BS9 tool from an Index 40 mill spindle.

If you find a good deal on one, then you should go check it out to make sure all the gears have intact teeth.

Last edited:
To be honest, I wish it had more swing. A 14 or 16 would have been ideal for me.

But overall, I really enjoy using the Heavy 10. Mine came with the telescopic taper attachment, which came in handy twice already. I wish it had come with a steady rest and follow rest though.

With the 5c collet draw-tube, I can quickly chuck up some round stock and get to work.

I’m currently boring out the stuck BS9 tool from an Index 40 mill spindle.

If you find a good deal on one, then you should go check it out to make sure all the gears have intact teeth.

Thanks for the info. I’ve messaged the guy about one that didn’t sell on eBay. I’ve told him I’m interested if we can make a good deal, so I guess I’ll wait and see what can be done. It seems there were two variants of the heavy 10 when it came to qcgb and this one is the one with the fewer gears. Not sure how much that bothers me as they’ll be imperial threads and I mainly need metric, so I’d probably do an ELS anyway. I’m not sure how much the heavy 10 is a step up from my south bend 9 clone anyway other than the length of the bed, so I’m still not sure if it’s worth the effort.

What sort of projects do you do that you wish you had more size/weight for?

Thanks for the info. I’ve messaged the guy about one that didn’t sell on eBay. I’ve told him I’m interested if we can make a good deal, so I guess I’ll wait and see what can be done. It seems there were two variants of the heavy 10 when it came to qcgb and this one is the one with the fewer gears. Not sure how much that bothers me as they’ll be imperial threads and I mainly need metric, so I’d probably do an ELS anyway. I’m not sure how much the heavy 10 is a step up from my south bend 9 clone anyway other than the length of the bed, so I’m still not sure if it’s worth the effort.

What sort of projects do you do that you wish you had more size/weight for?

Mine has the single tumbler gearbox and I’ve not needed to thread anything in metric as of yet. I also don’t miss whatever gears I don’t have compared to the dual tumbler gearbox.

As for wanting a larger lathe, the 10L spindle ID is 1-3/8”, so anything larger won’t fit through the spindle. I’m currently boring out a stuck BS9 tool from the spindle from an Index 40 mill. It would be better if more of the mill spindle would fit in the 10L spindle, which would minimize deflection during boring. As I don’t have a steady rest, it would help in this situation.

Also, the 10” swing limits some really simple tasks such as facing brake rotors.

As for wanting a larger lathe, the 10L spindle ID is 1-3/8”, so anything larger won’t fit through the spindle. I’m currently boring out a stuck BS9 tool from the spindle from an Index 40 mill. It would be better if more of the mill spindle would fit in the 10L spindle, which would minimize deflection during boring. As I don’t have a steady rest, it would help in this situation.

Also, the 10” swing limits some really simple tasks such as facing brake rotors.
I encountered this same problem when I was offered the first paying job for my Heavy 10. It was a set of trailer brake drums that were 10.63 OD. The Heavy 10 maxes out at about 10.13". Coming from the job shop environment, this will always be the case with any machine you get. Someone will always want work done that is just slightly bigger than your capacity. Would I rather have a 13-14" lathe, yes. Do I really need one, no.

Adding a steady rest to my 10L. Bought this nicely made SB 9 steady rest (someone really did a good job making this). It’s got a 5” capacity and not made out of cast iron. I adapted it for my 10L.

Here are some pics of the process. Also, excuse my bird poop welds. I’m really rusty.

IMG_1305.jpegIMG_1304.jpegIMG_1306.jpegIMG_1629.jpeg
IMG_1630.jpeg
IMG_1634.jpeg
IMG_1632.jpeg

That's a nice homemade steady. I love the capacity. My factory steady rest has a maximum capacity of only 2-1/4 - 2-1/2". I only realized this when I needed to support some 4" Durobar stock. What the heck??? One day I plan on making another steady with a larger capacity.

Back