Getting the new knee mill off the pallet

Someone told me that they might just drop it off the side of the road since liftgate service is just that. I've had 2 machines delivered from PM before and both times, they used a pallet jack and asked me where I wanted to put it in my garage.

Have you guys ever had this issue? I hope they at the very least put it on my driveway. Otherwise, if it's on the side of the road, I'd have no way to bring it to my garage.

Also, my plan as of now, if they can't put it inside my garage because of the height of the crate, but set it on my driveway instead, is to take off the top and sides of the crate to allow overhead clearance, then anchor a 1/2-13 eyebolt on my garage floor, then use a come-along to pull the crate from the driveway into my garage using rescue straps rated for 6k lbs.
I would go larger than 1/2-13....

to allow full head rotation.

You are right @hman -- I should have said never lift a Bridgeport or BP clone by the RAM. I did not know that the PM versions were reinforced. However my PM945 (sourced from Modern, not PM) does thave an X in the turret, which is a weak point for lifting.

One guy I saw at an auction blew out a dovetail. My mentor saw an X in the turret let go, which was far less disasterous. I always lift a BP by the bottom, with cinch straps around the turret that stop it from tipping. Never had one move a fraction, and safe lifts every time.

Someone told me that they might just drop it off the side of the road since liftgate service is just that. I've had 2 machines delivered from PM before and both times, they used a pallet jack and asked me where I wanted to put it in my garage.

Have you guys ever had this issue? I hope they at the very least put it on my driveway. Otherwise, if it's on the side of the road, I'd have no way to bring it to my garage.
The liftgate delivery for my lathe was specified to be just that - curbside only. When they called and said they were ready to deliver, we winked and nodded.

on my liftgate delivery, the guy put the liftgate onto the plywood on the gravel and said "it's all yours". We used his pallet jack to get it up the slope. He also said it was too heavy to put back into the truck...

Ugh I really hope he doesn't just drop it off at the curb. I don't even have a pallet jack myself.

One guy I saw at an auction blew out a dovetail. My mentor saw an X in the turret let go, which was far less disasterous. I always lift a BP by the bottom, with cinch straps around the turret that stop it from tipping. Never had one move a fraction, and safe lifts every time.
Hmmmm ... I did have two of those (rather longish) straps. Might well have threaded them through the round holes in the machine base, led them upward to a central hoist point above the mill, and made sure to add a cinch strap around the top of the column. That would definitely have increased the safety of the lift. Live and learn!

If he drops it at the curb rent a fork lift. If on the driveway a pry bar, a hydraulic jack, a pipe and lots of boards. At this point all you are trying to do is get it high enough to get off the pallet no higher. Once the bolts are removed you will have to let it down then raise it off the pallet. Two 2"X6" under each side, avoid a situation where they will tip, and no longer than what is necessary to remove the pallet should hold the mill. After the pallet is gone you can let it down to move it. If your drive way is sloped keep wedges thicker than the pipe or roller diameter behind it as you move up the driveway.

There is a comment about two holes in the base, I would check with PM to ascertain if the holes in the machine can be used to raise it slightly by a jack and pipe to insert boards under the side that is lifted. Use 2" lumber or less as you raise each side, as has been said these machines are top heavy. If you can get help do so but communicate as you work.

I got boards by cutting pallets up, some businesses throw damaged ones away.

There are a lot of good ideas here and you have a choice of any combination to keep the base of the mill near level at all times.

Have a good day
Ray

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the driver. When my PM-25 mill (much smaller and lighter) was delivered, the driver put it in my garage in a spot I told him to. He used a pallet jack. I have an inclined, paved driveway and was concerned he would leave it at the bottom which would have been rough for me to get up to the top. But, he just backed into my driveway all the way to the top.

The higher you can lift on a mill the greater the level of safety. My 833 mill has 4 holes in the base for screw eyes. I don't remember the size of the threads, but no way would I lift perpendicular to a screw eye. The bending moment would be significant. You always want as much mass below the lifting point as possible. Straps around the column or head would be preferable. As others have mentioned, knee mills are very tippy when moving. All you have to do is look at some YouTube videos of moves gone wrong.

Back