G4000 ELS Upgrade

So, while waiting for the belt, here's the Belt-Guard. Cut on my Langmuir Crossfire CNC Plasma Table and bent on my Shop-Fox three in one bender. A little Grizzly-Green to follow! :grin:

BeltGuard.jpg

Hahaha! ..... Interestingly enough, funny you should say that, I just used my new PM935 mill to make a fixture adapter for a Neurosurgical Skull Clamping apparatus for one of the Operating Rooms I support :laughing: .....no kidding, the mill is earning it's keep.
I'm eager to get playing with this ELS, it will certainly breathe new life into my old faithful lathe!
Do brain surgery adapters need to be made out of some fancy stainless steel?

Do brain surgery adapters need to be made out of some fancy stainless steel?
Generally, only if it is in contact with the patient or in the direct sterile field. I stay away from making such due to potential liability issues. I will however, occasionally modify such at a Dr's request though. The last two jobs for the OR I just completed were in 6061 Aluminum and 303 Stainless Steel and those worked out fine for all intents and purposes.

I really applaud your attention to detail in the fit and finish areas. I never seem to get around to caring what it looks like, just function…so I like your style. :)

New Bright Idea:geek:
Now working on an Electronic feed-stop for the carriage, that will work off the electronic braking relay box. A limit microswitch, attached to a movable/adjustable delrin mount between the ways, carriage shall activate such and a latching relay shall apply the "Brake" and keep it applied until a manual reset push-button is depressed. A piezo buzzer shall indicate when this is so activated......... more to follow

Implemented and works a peach, probably could have been more elegant, less relay logic with an Arduino or something, but I just kept going at it and here we are:
Electronic Carriage stop.jpg
DirBrakeV210.jpg

Last edited:
Good news, just been informed the Toothed Belt has arrived at my forwarder's and is ready for collection tomorrow :grin:

Well, the belt just came in and fits perfectly.
Agreed, I used the wrong single point cutter for these 1st test threads, however, I can confirm the Electronic Leadscrew, Electronic Braking System and Electronic Carriage Stop are all working perfectly from the get go!
Another fun project and learning experience accomplished :laughing: :beer mugs:
Main Belt.jpg1st Thread.jpg
displays.jpgCompleted Lathe.jpg

Last edited:
Back