G4000 ELS Upgrade

Will be retiring this tach and mounting the ELS control panel here. That fwd/rev switch is non-functional since I did the Treadmill motor/DC drive conversion years ago, so out it goes too.

ELS POSITION.jpg

Last edited:
Implemented the relay box and the braking system today, works great. Used a 4-ohm 50W resistor and it's not even breaking a sweat. Stopping time from 2300RPM is about 1 second with an empty 4" 3-jaw chuck. It's configured to normally coast to a stop (FWD or REV to STOP) or I can apply the foot-brake at any time for immediate stopping..... Pretty darned convenient.
Just waiting on my ELS parts to arrive, shipping these days is really slow, like about 14-days from my Florida forwarder to my door.

Last edited:
On checking, for some reason, DigiKey canceled my LAUNCHPAD TMS320F280049C EVAL BD order without notifying me. Just ordered it from Mouser. So there will be another delay.
Cleaned-up the lathe a bit:

G4000.jpg

So, while I wait for bits and pieces to arrive, I've decided to print mockups of the Encoder and Servo Motor drive systems and test for fit. Here's the Encoder system. I think I can trust these enough to start making the mounts and deciding on hardware.

Encoder mockup.jpg

Last edited:
Here's today's encoder mock fit-up, a 300mm GT2 belt would do the trick

Mockup enc lathe.jpg Bracket.jpg

The Crossfire CNC Plasma-jet does a wonderful job of making the Servo Motor Mount. This trial was done in 16g, the actual will be done in 1/8"
Hey, and I found a stepper motor I could use as a trial fit! .....this is coming together nicely! :beer mugs:

Servo Mount.jpg
Servo fit.jpg

Last edited:
Turns out just doubling the 16g plates is more than rigid enough for the motor mount. Here's the fit-up for the pulleys and belts. Encoder 80T and 40T GT2 150T belt, Servo Motor 24T and 72T 3M 149T belt. As luck would have it, I guesstimated correctly and ordered all the right sized belts.
Just informed that the boards from @clough42 have arrived in Trinidad and I will have them on Monday.
Enough work for the day, it's FRIDAY! .....time to cleanup the mess I made in the shop, and sip on a couple cold ones while doing so! :beer mugs:
Drivetrain.jpg

Well, the goodies have started arriving, not enough to accomplish anything tangible at this stage. It should all be here by mid next week.

1st Shipment.jpg

Last edited:
Back