FOUR JAW CHUCK do you like it or hate it?

How often is your 4 jaw used?

• Alway use a 4 jaw never use a 3 jaw

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Use a 4 jaw most of time

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Use a 3 jaw and some times use 4 jaw

Votes: 89 48.6%
  • Use a 4 jaw only if I have to use one

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Only use a 3 jaw, 4 jaw makes me mad & chuck key goes flying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: FOUR JAW CHUCK do like it or hate it 4

Do you work with a lot of thin wall materials? You do know that there are more disadvantages to a 6-jaw over a 3-jaw than advantages right? Most people don't know that. Just want to point that out before you spend so much on one, many would not be happy with the disadvantages. But they sure are purdy.

IMO an 8" is a pretty hefty chuck for a 12x36, I personally wouldn't want that big of a scroll chuck, the 4-jaw independent is fine. Be sure to check if the jaws will clear the ways when fully extended.

Okay I did some quick research on them...ugh it does seem the 6 jaw is a specialty chuck with some serious issues especially if the stock is not true. I think I will look at a higher quality 3 jaw chuck to replace my CHINA chuck and some soft jaws. As for an 8 inch chuck...yeah D1-5 has that covered though I will check the clearance.

As for an 8 inch chuck...yeah D1-5 has that covered though I will check the clearance.

Spindle type has no relevance, it chuck size vs lathe size. I'd even stick with a 6.25" scroll chuck on a 13x lathe. If you search around you'll see that's how they come. But again, it's all personal preference.

Spindle type has no relevance, it chuck size vs lathe size. I'd even stick with a 6.25" scroll chuck on a 13x lathe. If you search around you'll see that's how they come. But again, it's all personal preference.

Mine comes stock with a 4 jaw 8". I'm going mostly from my brothers recommendation here, he's been a machinist for 25 plus years. Literally his first comment upon seeing the lathe was you need an 8 inch chuck. Followed by, "why's it on a lift kit" followed by, "why is the spindle forward/reverse wired backwards. :lmao:

Personally I use my 4 jaw almost exlusively, but then again that could be because my 3 jaw is, what's the word.... rubbish. Then again one of the worm gears on my four jaw is cracked. I wonder if Santa will bring enough coal for me to get a new one? :talktogod:

Mine comes stock with a 4 jaw 8". I'm going mostly from my brothers recommendation here, he's been a machinist for 25 plus years. Literally his first comment upon seeing the lathe was you need an 8 inch chuck. Followed by, "why's it on a lift kit" followed by, "why is the spindle forward/reverse wired backwards. :lmao:

Just a thought coolidge, and not to knock your brother at all, but sometimes the words of a professional need to be taken with a grain of salt. He is likely used to large and expensive equipment and a production environment. What is essential there may be overkill or even a hindrance in a hobby garage. Another expensive hobby of mine is target shooting. I have a friend who shoots in national matches and is helping me out. I believe him when he says the $1500 scope is a great deal and far superior to what I am looking at, but we are in a different league all together; I've shot his gun and mine and while his was exquisite, I am not yet good enough for it to show how much better it is that my $500 gun.

Looks great thank you
Dave[
QUOTE=darkzero;252748]How's that? If that's no good let me know what you want it to say.[/QUOTE]

I use my 3 jaw whenever .003 runout doesn't matter or I can plan the whole job around a single chucking. I used to really avoid the 4 jaw but now that I made a pair of smallish chuck keys I can zero it pretty quickly so I don't hesitate to use it for square, odd shaped, or rechucked material. I also appreciate how quickly I can flip the jaws of the 4 jaw around with my cordless drill. Flipping the 2 piece jaws in my 3 jaw takes a lot longer. I guess I just couldn't imagine tying to get along if I didn't have both.

I'm not certain, but I bet it's used like we used to true our bicycle rims as kids. Hold chalk near the rotating work, moving ever so slightly closer until it barely touches, leaving a mark on the high spot. You would then adjust your chuck jaw opposite the mark (away) from the high spot, then tighten the jaw nearest the mark (pushing the workpiece toward center). Rub off the mark, do it again, repeating the process until it rubs all the way around, evenly. Anyone confirm my theory?

Same idea exactly. I used to do wheels by just holding the spoke wrench near the wheel and against an alignment frame. Back in the 60's I could assemble, align, and torque a 40 spoke 10 speed wheel in under 5 minutes on a good day. A 4 jaw chuck is quite easy by comparison. I use mine quite often especially when matching the machine work with original surfaces on a weld repaired part.

I normally use the 6" steel 3-jaw chuck, which is trued on the back plate vs. spindle center. This is fine for almost all operations to achieve good results with minimal effort. The big 12" chuck with four independent jaws is useful to hold pieces with different shapes or to minimize runout, but it is rarely used. The 3-way chuck is the favorite for daily use.

I got a worn 3-jaw chuck with the lathe which was a PITA to use. I didn't realize how good a 3-jaw chuck is until I got a premium unit.

Swedish made 12" Bergman Chuck
DSC03150.JPG

6" Elliot Chuck made in England
DSC03210.JPG

DSC03150.JPG DSC03210.JPG

Last edited:

i learned how to adjust 4 jaw while working at a machine shop. my first lathe only came with a 4 jaw chuck, very well used one at that. been repaired a few times. one screw was braised to take up some extra end play in the movement of the jaw. i made my repair of welding up the square drive after split down 2 corners and grinding away extra weld in the thread. i did get a 3 jaw with my second atlas lathe but so badly bell mouthed to be useless. i did grind the jaws, still not as accurate as 4 jaw. did use the drive plate with center and dog leg for a repair on an octagon shaft. had to make a cat head to turn it using the steady rest. would have used a 3 jaw for it if the part would have fit in spindle bore. i did get a new 3 jaw chuck that i need to make a threaded back plate. will have to learn how to thread first. as of now, i have 3 4 jaw chucks, centers, 2 3 jaw chucks, brown sharpe #10 collets with no holder. i dont mind using the 4 jaw chuck. i use the dial indicator or sometimes just use the cutter close to the part and eye ball it as i turn lathe by hand similar to the chalk method.

I use a 3 jaw in both of my lathes. Ones a 20"swing with a 15"Chuck, and the other lathe is a 14" swing with an 8"Chuck. I have an 8" plain back 4 jaw chuck, that I can Chuck up in either one when the need arises. Hardly never use the 4 jaw. The only time it gets used is when I have to offset a diameter or to Chuck up something that is not round and I have to turn a round section onto it. 3 jaw chucks are used almost exclusively in production shops and there's a reason for that, it's much quicker!

I can dial in my 3 jaws within .001" when I have to flip the part around, with a dial indicator and a tap or 2 with a brass hammer on the far jaw. Works every time. An old timer showed me that trick, and I never looked back.
:)

Back