FOUR JAW CHUCK do you like it or hate it?

How often is your 4 jaw used?

• Alway use a 4 jaw never use a 3 jaw

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Use a 4 jaw most of time

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Use a 3 jaw and some times use 4 jaw

Votes: 89 48.6%
  • Use a 4 jaw only if I have to use one

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Only use a 3 jaw, 4 jaw makes me mad & chuck key goes flying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: FOUR JAW CHUCK do like it or hate it 4

It is a rare occasion when I take the 4 jawed chuck from my lathe. It is the only one I use.

"Billy G"

My other chuck is a spindle chuck, but it does have three jaws.

I use the 3 jaw mostly, unless I'm doing something precision, or working with TG, P material then I'll dial it in on a 4 jaw. The 4 jaw is awesome though, versatility u can hold odd things safely in a 4 jaw. 3 jaw is great for roughing and hex stock, but can still do fine finishing work. Quality is key to the 3 jaw

On my current lathe it's the only chuck I have so its all I use i used to dislike it as most of what I do could be done faster in a 3 jaw. But as I use it more and got used to it I'd rather have a four jaw then a three if I could only have one.

I seam to do mostly new parts, with proper planning I can do all the operations in one setup in the 3 jaw so there is no runout to worry about. If I need to alter or repair something the the 4 jaw gets used. For small work collets take care of it.

A 3 jaw is all that's needed for my needs. However, I'd love to have a 4 jaw to play around with and make some odd cuts that couldn't be done with the other.

I keep a 4 jaw UNIVERSAL Bison 8" chuck on my big lathe. It is accurate to .001",and of course can hold squares as well as the usual round stock. The accuracy is fine for nearly all I do. If I want to center to better than .001" or hold an odd shape,then it's 4 jaw time.

If I could have ONLY 1 chuck,it'd have to be a 4 jaw,as it is good for any and all chuckable jobs.

My first lathe came with a 4-jaw chuck. I hated it, and pined for a 3-jaw. The next lathe I got came with a 3-jaw. Boy was I tickled until I needed that fourth jaw. The last lathe came with both. I use the 3-jaw a lot. But when you don't have diameter to throw away, or the stock is just barely long enough and has to be swapped, or is odd-ball, and more, that 4th jaw will save your bacon. Back when I had that first lathe, dial indicators were for commercial shops and rich buggers. Chalk was how we centered up the stock. It worked surprisingly well, too.

My 4 jaw chucks are not used as much as they should be i suppose, usually for me...

down and dirty i go 3 jaw,
for when it counts or for odd work, 4 jaw.
if it really, really counts, between centers.
(i would like a 5C spindle chuck or at least a 5C spindle adapter)
(Iv'e been a good boy Santa!!!:jester:)

Back