FOUR JAW CHUCK do you like it or hate it?

How often is your 4 jaw used?

• Alway use a 4 jaw never use a 3 jaw

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Use a 4 jaw most of time

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Use a 3 jaw and some times use 4 jaw

Votes: 89 48.6%
  • Use a 4 jaw only if I have to use one

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Only use a 3 jaw, 4 jaw makes me mad & chuck key goes flying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: FOUR JAW CHUCK do like it or hate it 4

Yes sounds good

Thank you
Dave
What was it supposed to say? I can edit it for you.

How would the chuck key fly? You mean out of frustration & the operator made the key fly? :rofl:

I'm a novice but I responded anyway. I've used a 4 chuck on occasion. But I'm too lazy to swap out the 3 jaw unless I have to.

I'm on the fence trying to decide between a 8" 6 jaw Bison Set Tru or a 8" 4 jaw Bison hybrid scroll chuck e.g. each jaw adjust independently like a 4 jaw then once set it opens/closes like a 3 jaw scroll chuck.

What type of work are doing
A simple four jaw works most parts.
I also have 4 jaw independent / scroll chuck never had on the lathe.

Dave

DaveQUOTE=coolidge;252597]I'm on the fence trying to decide between a 8" 6 jaw Bison Set Tru or a 8" 4 jaw Bison hybrid scroll chuck e.g. each jaw adjust independently like a 4 jaw then once set it opens/closes like a 3 jaw scroll chuck.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

I am really doubtful that the Bison combination chuck would ever function accurately as a universal chuck. And,it'll cost you a pretty penny to find out if it doesn't !

Are you familiar with knowing that if you have a part accurately centered in a 4 jaw,you cannot just remove the work by loosening 2 jaws,then try putting in another piece of work the same diameter,and tightening the 2 jaws back(What a run on sentence!!!) Anyhow,it never works: The 4 jaw invariably has to be dialed back in. This because of play in the chuck jaw screws,play in the seating of the jaws in the chuck body,etc. It just never works. I think the combination chuck would be only an APPROXIMATELY self centering chuck for the same reasons.

BUT,If you do buy one,DO let us know how accurately it functions as a self centering chuck. I'd LOVE to know. Just in case by a miracle it works accurately.

I wonder if Bison would reveal information on how accurately their combo chuck does function as a self centering chuck? Probably would not be any use to ask the distributor. You'd have to ask Bison directly. The dealer would not know. With the considerable investment at stake,it would really be great to know in advance. Otherwise,you're probably potentially just buying a chuck that would still have to be dialed in every time.

Please explain the soapstone method.

Daryl
MN

Soapstone is commonly used to layout "rough" tolerance fabrications in sheet and structural steel for torch cutting or non critical hole or other feature locations. Often, we would use it to layout fabrications on the shop floor. It is hard & rigid enough to hold up well as a "drawing" instrument.

It's like high class chalk and will mark off eccentric lathe-chucked shafts or other parts.

A rough & ready method at best.

The soapstone is quarried & cut to make many other things like sinks & wood stoves.

I'm really lazy....so I bought a lathe for the 4 jaw and another lathe for the 3 jaw. How do I answer this poll...its really stressing me out.:))

If you haven't already voted,there should be boxes to steer your mouse into and click it to check the box.

I'm really lazy....so I bought a lathe for the 4 jaw and another lathe for the 3 jaw. How do I answer this poll...its really stressing me out.:))

Wow, I thought I was lazy.. but I defer.

Once I fixed the fit of the back plate and re-ground the jaws, it became my favorite chuck. It stays on unless I feel so lazy that switching the chuck feels easier than dialing it in. In other words not often. LOL

Back