FOUR JAW CHUCK do you like it or hate it?

How often is your 4 jaw used?

• Alway use a 4 jaw never use a 3 jaw

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Use a 4 jaw most of time

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Use a 3 jaw and some times use 4 jaw

Votes: 89 48.6%
  • Use a 4 jaw only if I have to use one

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Only use a 3 jaw, 4 jaw makes me mad & chuck key goes flying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I built two overhead cranes in the shop. They each span 12 feet and travel the length of the building. Great for installing chucks.

IMG_1093.jpg

Greg

IMG_1093.jpg

I will use which ever chuck that will seem to work best for the project. So I change my chucks often. The good thing about that is that it gives me a chance to clean out the swarf and sludge that builds up in and on the chucks and spindle. Mark

I use a four jaw when it is needed, have a 5C setup and two 3 jaws that get most of the work.
My biggest issue with the four jaw is getting it up on the lathe, as that sucker weighs over 100 pounds!
Seems like I'm always changing chucks or collets,guess it's time to get some smaller chucks.

Normally just use the 3 jaw, but the 4 jaw is nice on odd parts, as mentioned above.
I had some old facet knobs, I used for my delta sander, I showed them here before. i dialed them in and drilled out and tapped. had to use the 4 jaw.
Trapped a washer under where the hot and cold ceramic piece would go.

OWWM 3 Top Save.jpg OWWM 4 Save.jpg Delta star Knob 1.jpg

I figured I'd kill two birds with one round of buckshot.

Here's a video of me using the dedicated indicator holder for centering work in the 4 jaw chuck, along with how I do it.

http://youtu.be/nQb_1eMVt5Y

Back