FOUR JAW CHUCK do you like it or hate it?

How often is your 4 jaw used?

• Alway use a 4 jaw never use a 3 jaw

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Use a 4 jaw most of time

Votes: 37 20.2%
  • Use a 3 jaw and some times use 4 jaw

Votes: 89 48.6%
  • Use a 4 jaw only if I have to use one

Votes: 43 23.5%
  • Only use a 3 jaw, 4 jaw makes me mad & chuck key goes flying

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: FOUR JAW CHUCK do like it or hate it 4

3/6 jaw set true

4 jaw when needed

collet closer when many pieces repeat, dislike production, can I make one ,yes, 10 no

I use a three jaw for most of my work, and collets for the small stuff, but the four jaw is unbeatable if you need to get something dead on or if it is odd shaped. It may not be my favorite, but I couldn't live without it either.

I guess I am like most 3 jaw, collets when possible and 4 jaw when necessary. My 3 jaw is a Bison and is almost new. My lathe uses 5c collets so I have a wide rang of sizes.

Paul

I keep a 3 jaw on the lathe unless I am using a collet the 4 jaw when needed is set up with a back plate and a threaded pipe that has been turned to be concentric with the back plate and when I need the 4 jaw I put it in the 3 Jaw and center the work. The three jaw has not had to be taken off for several years and it makes the old man get along a lot better when picking up that heavy chuck and trying to thread it onto the spindle.

Mine comes stock with a 4 jaw 8". I'm going mostly from my brothers recommendation here, he's been a machinist for 25 plus years. Literally his first comment upon seeing the lathe was you need an 8 inch chuck. Followed by, "why's it on a lift kit" followed by, "why is the spindle forward/reverse wired backwards. :lmao:

Typically the 4 jaw is bigger than the 3 jaw for the same lathe. And I’m with darkzero on get a smaller say 6” 3 jaw for the 12” lathe. And I’ve been at it for 50+ years. And if you still are set on getting a 8”, please double check the actual OD of the chuck MANY 8” chucks are really bigger in diameter, maybe it’s the metric thing coming into play. Remember, the jaws stick out when you scroll out to hold larger parts and the jaws might hit your carriage and or ways. Plus the extra weight of a bigger chuck on your lathes headstock…Good Luck, Dave.

I usually use a big reversible jaw 3 jaw, but have been using the 4 jaw enough that setting it up only takes a minute or two. I'm sure that all of use use the correct tool needed for the job at hand without worrying about whether it is easy or hard to use. "Hard" only makes us rather less likely to use the 4 jaw unless compelled to.

I have had a four jaw chuck as well as a three jaw for 15 years. I also have two collet sets for this lathe. I think I've used the 4 jaw once in all that time. It weighs about 140 lbs and is a PITA to mount. Pretty much anything I would use the 4 jaw for, I do in the mill. I think every shop is different so what ever works for you is the way to go. Good luck.

I'm partial to my 6" 4 jaw. Takes a few minutes to set up, but I like the accuracy.

Buy a smaller four use stub for mounting .
I have 4 jaw chuck with 1 1/2" x 8 tpi mount made stub with for the 1 1/2" x 8 tpi. Thread the stub in to the four jaw and chuck up in the 3 jaw. I have also just a plain back chuck and made sub on the chuck mount .
http://www.shars.com/products/view/20301/8quot_4_Jaw_Independent_Chuck_

I have had a four jaw chuck as well as a three jaw for 15 years. I also have two collet sets for this lathe. I think I've used the 4 jaw once in all that time. It weighs about 140 lbs and is a PITA to mount. Pretty much anything I would use the 4 jaw for, I do in the mill. I think every shop is different so what ever works for you is the way to go. Good luck.

My lathe originally came with only a 4jaw chuck and I got used to using it. Once I got a 3jaw chuck it's my main chuck. But I still use the 4jaw when I need to. Odd shaped parts, turning/drilling off center, getting a piece perfect in the lathe, even though my lathe is nowhere near that perfect.

Back