Found this on the ways of my new mill...

Xnaron,
Receiving a new milling machine should be an exciting time. Going through what you are now just puts a damper on the experience.
Speaking as a long time manager at a Ford dealership, give them a bit of time to satisfy your concerns. The retailer doesn't want this experience either.
It's in their best interests to be able to satisfy you and I bet that's what they are going to try do.
Good luck to you and I'm sorry this happened to you.

Xnaron, are you a CNBC developer, or something? I checked out you G0704 conversion - wow, that was some serious effort. Just curiosity on my part, the CX601 doesn’t seem like much of a step up from the G0704. What is the impetus for this new build?

I suspect that the Asian machine manufacturer’s job out a lot of their work, but they don’t all use the same approach. The castings will appear identical in machines from numerous manufacturer. I suspect some lower end manufacturers just make the brand sticker. Others will take a much larger roll - so while the castings may look the same, the build quality will be significantly better. Since castings don’t all come out perfect, the lower end builders will get the casting that have been rejected by the higher end builders.

Have you checked out some of David Best’s efforts, where he started with a PM machine, then went right through rebuilding and upgrading to what he wanted? He has separate builds for each of his major projects. similar to you, he was planning to put significant time and money into the build, so he elected to start with a reasonable quality level of machine.

Glad that the lathe looks good so far and they are addressing the dented stand issue.

David

In the flurry of criticisms and comments, may I please have a say as well? Although I am not partial to BB, I had a BB mill for 15+ years and was very happy with it, as was the next owner. My current small lathe, a 12X37 is also a BB, and it works very well. (I own 2 others)

Flaws in milling machine castings are becoming more common, as there is less room for rejecting castings to achieve these low price points. For the US listeners, you can expect to pay +50 to +70% for a mill in CAD. Used machinery is more than double premium prices in the US.

If these flaws are in a place where chips can gather, then they must be filled: with what and how are outside the scope of this thread. Let's see what BB does about this, and report back as the situation evolves. There at least 20 Albertan Machinists that are members on this site, which represent some buying power and an audience that BB should respect.

I'm very interested in what they say. Did you buy in Edmonton or in Calgary? I'll also post about your problem in the Calgary Metalworker's group which has about 80 members. they'd love to show their support.

Last edited:
I've removed the conversation with the seller from my post. I am going to give them a chance to make things right. If they don't I will repost the details again in this thread. I'll post back here when I hear back from them but I don't expect that to be until after February 10th as it sounds like Chinese New year has been extended. this puts me in a vulnerable position as it will be one day after my 30-day return/exchange warranty expires.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in what they say. Did you buy in Edmonton or in Calgary? I'll also post about your problem in the Calgary Metalworker's group which has about 80 members. they'd love to show their support.

Thank you. I purchased it in Edmonton.

Xnaron, are you a CNBC developer, or something? I checked out you G0704 conversion - wow, that was some serious effort. Just curiosity on my part, the CX601 doesn’t seem like much of a step up from the G0704. What is the impetus for this new build?

I like to build cnc machines. I have built many types of cnc machines from routers, laser cutters, 3d printers to pcb milling machines. I sold the G0704 many years ago. I wanted a larger machine. The CX601 is almost twice the weight of the G0704. A much beefier machine for what I want to do with it.

I am happy to report back that the head office of the seller called me on Monday and said I could bring my mill into the store for an exchange. I arranged to take a vacation day from work and picked it up today. I spent about an hour cleaning everything up and the ways look good so far. I am happy the seller stood behind their product and their exchange policy. I am really happy with the service I have received from the local store manager. He is a really good natured guy and easy to deal with. I'll be a returning customer.

1580941125803.png

Last edited:
That’s awesome news.
I’m very happy that it’s worked out for you.

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with your mill as I have my eye on the King version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome news.
I’m very happy that it’s worked out for you.

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with your mill as I have my eye on the King version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is the one sold by kms tools kc20vs2 it is not a comparable machine. That one is more like the grizzly g0704 or pm-25mv which is smaller and much lighter. The CX601 is the same size and weight as the Precision Matthews pm-30mv. Maybe King sells a bigger one?

If it is the one sold by kms tools it is not a comparable machine. That one is more like the grizzly g0704 or pm-25mv which is smaller and much lighter. The CX601 is the same size and weight as the Precision Matthews pm-30mv. Maybe King sells a bigger one?
Whoops my mistake you are absolutely correct. It is a clone/twin (?) of the 0704

Back