Found this on the ways of my new mill...

I would fill it with JB Weld and carefully finish it flush, chips could lodge in it and cut the saddle when it is run over the hole.

I would be concerned that the JB Weld might wear the gibs differently than the cast iron over time. I am not sure if this would be an issue or not.

As the machine is new it might be a better option for me to deal with it via warranty.

Well, if they don't replace it for you I would fill it with something.
Even though you've stoned it there is still a sharp albeit rough edge/ridge all around that void.
That will cause wear on the mating piece over time. Add to it the fact that whatever might be down inside that void is unknown.
Take at look that the methods used when adding oil grooves to bed ways. It's common practice to break the edge.
Since whatever is down inside that void is unknown I would steer clear of loosening anything.

Well, if they don't replace it for you I would fill it with something.
Even though you've stoned it there is still a sharp albeit rough edge/ridge all around that void.
That will cause wear on the mating piece over time. Add to it the fact that whatever might be down inside that void is unknown.
Take at look that the methods used when adding oil grooves to bed ways. It's common practice to break the edge.
Since whatever is down inside that void is unknown I would steer clear of loosening anything.

I've sent an email to the seller to see what they can do. One thing I asked is whether the table is matched to the saddle as it would be easier to swap the table rather than the entire machine.

Yes, it should be filled with something to exclude crud from accumulating, but trying to get it replaced should be the first order of business.

You might want to post a link to this thread over in the "ALL ABOUT MACHINE RESTORATION & WAY SCRAPING" section.
One of the folks over there might not see this over here.

Interesting. My Mill has a one shot oiler and so there are channels cut into the ways to allow the oil to distribute. However, I never see them because they are covered up by the matching flats on the table unless I move the table to the extreme left of right. I would think that the stoning that the OP did would remove any high spot and sharp edges and then what is the problem with having a small cavity filled with way oil. BTW, I can't really tell from the pictures where on the Ways the cavity is.

What a PitA. *SIGH*
$3K?! It should be a lot better quality. At $750, then yeah, maybe. but not at $3K...
It's not like that is not a common design.
Friday afternoon, end-of-shift built?

Back