Found this on the ways of my new mill...

It depends whether or not anyone else has lodged a complaint. If they have then they are more likely to act.
Certainly that was my experience.
Lol the BBB is a joke that has Absolutely no power to do anything for anyone other then issue a "shame on you report" that again means nada!

Lol the BBB is a joke that has Absolutely no power to do anything for anyone other then issue a "shame on you report" that again means nada!

All I can relate is my experience.
A car dealership refused to give me back a $500 deposit required for a used car test drive after I drove said car to my mechanic for a once over where numerous issues were found.

I call the BBB who told me there were numerous complaints about the dealership. Within an hour I got a call from the manager to come and get my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed now. It is a major pain to exchange it. Other than these flaws and a bit of flakey paint on the front I was happy with it.
Sorry to hear about your concern with your new mill. Good luck on getting a satisfactory resolution. Hopefully BB will provide the support you are looking for.

A topic that comes up on this discussion board is the desire to get a good machine for cheap. One challenge being various definitions of “good“ and “cheap”. You stated in an earlier post that you made your selection based on a lower price point. I don’t know all the options for a machine that size - it looks like the absolute bottom of the scale. That there are a few issues should not really be a surprise.

When I faced the same decision, I purchased a slightly smaller “old iron” mill for a similar price (3800, but quite a few attachments). The result is 4x the weight, requires 3 phase power and takes the space of a knee mill. The work envelope is less than what you have.

When purchasing a machine, there are many trade offs. You have a machine that was cheap to buy, is easy to move, easy to power, easy and cheap to get tooling for. Okay, it is not perfect - but buying the cheapest offering available usually comes with surprises. I’d suggest you go with it. Fix the machine up as best you can - it is your entry level machine to get you into a really great activity. Stay with it and learn to use it. On your next machine you will be more knowledgeable. Hopefully you are more satisfied with the lathe (don’t be surprised if there are some issues with it too).

Good luck. Let us know how you make out. Regards, David

Note that their factory in China won't respond until at least middle of next week, the country is on 'extended new year vacation' due to the coronavirus. I'll bet its mid-Feb at earliest when you hear back.

That said, it shouldn't be your problem. I'd insist on the return immediately, otherwise reverse the charges with the credit card company as a defective product.

That is the typical Chinese product....”good enough!”......When it’s good enough that’s all it needs in their eyes....think Japanese stuff from the 50’s and 60’s.....it will get better but this is going to take a long time. Also unless your supplier is making visits to their factory to hammer home quality, that supplier will always have this kind of issues.

Precision Matthews minimizes the issues by going to their shop in China and seeing first hand what is being shipped. Sorry for your problem.

A topic that comes up on this discussion board is the desire to get a good machine for cheap. One challenge being various definitions of “good“ and “cheap”. You stated in an earlier post that you made your selection based on a lower price point. I don’t know all the options for a machine that size - it looks like the absolute bottom of the scale. That there are a few issues should not really be a surprise.

Thanks David. I should clarify that the price of the CX601 is almost the same as the Precision Matthews PM-30MV. It was the shipping and customs fees that were about $900 (cdn). When I said lower price point it wasn't a lesser quality mill (at least in my eyes) it was just cheaper because I did not have to pay for shipping.

My previous mill was a grizzly G0704. I converted it to cnc (details here http://xnaron.com/cnc-mill/ ). I am planning to convert this mill to CNC as well. That is one reason why I would like to have a machine without defects in the ways as I will be pumping a lot of money into it.

I have gone through the lathe and haven't found any major issues. The stand came with a big dent in it that makes the base sit uneven. You could tell that it was a used item as it had been repackaged. I called the store manager immediately when I got home and unboxed it and he put one on order for me as they did not have one in stock. He said he put a note in my file about it and I have checked with him every couple of weeks to seefif it is in stock.

1580485660506.png

Note that their factory in China won't respond until at least middle of next week, the country is on 'extended new year vacation' due to the coronavirus. I'll bet its mid-Feb at earliest when you hear back.

That said, it shouldn't be your problem. I'd insist on the return immediately, otherwise reverse the charges with the credit card company as a defective product.

Yeah I am worried about that as well. I don't think credit card companies here in Canada can do reversals as easy as they are done in the US. At least that has been my experience when I have called in the past.

It's striking a balance point of pain:

On the one hand: Suck it up, with the thinking "This is typical import machine quality" and keep it. I'd consider leaving the voids as they are, with it likely that they won't be an issue, OR, look into possibly brazing the void (though I admit a concern about heat distortion).

On the other hand: There's fighting the system, raising your blood pressure and stress, trying to correct the situation, risking damage on its way back to them. AND, assuming you get a replacement, there's no guarantee that it'll be any better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom