Found this on the ways of my new mill...

What a PitA. *SIGH*
$3K?! It should be a lot better quality. At $750, then yeah, maybe. but not at $3K...
It's not like that is not a common design.
Friday afternoon, end-of-shift built?

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed now. It is a major pain to exchange it. Other than these flaws and a bit of flakey paint on the front I was happy with it.

Correspondence with seller removed until situation is resolved

Last edited:
Wow, that's a rather stunning response from them.
You might want to give the local office of the Better Business Bureau a call just in case. I had issues with a car dealership once and one call to the BBB got me an immediate refund.

Last edited:
Yeah they are just setting me up for a big PFO. They factory will probably say something like yeah don't worry about it as it won't affect the performance. Which is true until it pulls in some crud/chips as others pointed out. This will wear the gib strip on the front side and the ways on the back.

My last mill was a G0704 and I had a few issues with it. Grizzly stood behind their product and had excellent customer service. I wanted a bigger mill and was going to get the PM-30MV from Precision Matthews but it was pretty costly to import to Canada. I came across the CX601 at BusyBee Tools and saw one in the store and it looked good and it would cost me about $1000 cdn less. I should have forked out the extra money. :(
I would definitely call the Better Business Bureau. Get in there before the 30 day period.

The flaws obviously must have been caused by you, by the improper use of the rubber mallet in the top photo. :rolleyes:
Best of luck to you getting this straightened out.

For comparison sake, I have a casting problem like that on the X axis of my IH CNC mill I've been running for ~8 or so years (hobby usage rate). No noticeable problems with gibs or operation. I never filled mine in.

Sucks that they don't stand behind their products. If they won't exchange yours for a new one without casting flaws then maybe they will issue you at least a partial refund. I would take it and fill those holes with some JB Weld and stone it flat. Then use the machine and your gibs won't even notice the defects are there.

If you paid via credit card or pay pal I would start that ball rolling by notifying them of this problem and what steps you having taken this far to rectify the issue before the return limit hits.
Bingo! Credit Card purchase. [fingers-crossed]
I'm wondering what the condition of the gibs might be. Good or Bad?

BBB doesn't do much these days. They'll log a complaint but that is about all.

Back