Found this old South Bend lathe and it followed me home

Thanks again guys..............First let me say, I haven't run a lathe to the point I'm an expert like some of you guys, but I have played around with them some. I had an old Cummings 7x12 mini lathe for a few years before I got my Atlas and learned a lot with that little machine. The thing is, I knew from the start that neither of those machines would do what I truly wanted to do. Oh, they would probably get most stuff done but it just takes a long time. I do think this South Bend is a far more capable machine than either of the two I have or have had.

Woodchucker, I ordered that oiling kit from the guy you provided the link for. Have you got any ideas on the two drive belts. I saw a flat belt on e-bay for like $25.00 but didn't see a motor drive belt. I went to a serpentine belt. I had a leather belt on, but it broke, so rather than go leather again, I went to a serpentine. I went to the auto store with an approximate size and looked through their bins. It was nice that they let me do that. The serpentine ran for years with the teeth down, but I had to flip it over after years , it started to pull to one side. It's working fine using the back. It also grabs better. Also, I was playing around with the compound trying to figure out why it was so tight and took out the little screw that holds the dial in place and you can probably figure what happened next. That little, tiny brass pin jumped out and went I don't know where, so I'll need to find one of those too. That brass pin is easy enough to get. Go to McMaster car and order a small rod of brass. Just cut it off and you're good to go. I'll see if I can go measure one for you. You can also turn one down once you get the lathe running.

Also I'm going to put up a pic of a part that I can't figure out just what it is and hopefully you can tell me what I have there. I'll probably post a few pics of some of the rest of my toys in my shop if that would be ok. if so I'll get them together and post them up. Waiting to see the pic.
see inline answers

If you want to go old school leather belt there is at least one old world craftsman still in action. John Knox makes a great belt and is really nice to deal with. I can highly recommend.

john@leatherdrivebelts.com

I'll probably post a few pics of some of the rest of my toys in my shop if that would be ok.

Ok?
Yes please, we would love to see photos of your tools, machines, projects, distractions, toys, failures, whatever you got!

Brian

What about what they call a powertwist belt? They come in different lengths where you cut off what you need and twist to connect. I put one of these on my Atlas and it has done a great job.

I moved the lathe to a bench in my little machine shop. I thought it would be easier to work on it there but I forgot that shelf on the back of it and I don't think I'll have enough room with that on there to mount the motor dive. I may have to remove that shelf which wont be much problem that is if I can find some place to put all that junk. oh, and here are some pics of some of my other junk, enjoy. I got some more stuff that I don't have pics of if you are interested. Oh, and that thing in the center of the last pic; what is it?

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1137.JPG
    IMG_1137.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1138.JPG
    IMG_1138.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 37
see inline answers
I just measured my brass pin, it's 0.125 mine measures 0.128 but I believe that's from mushrooming the ends. I also believe I bought 3/16 brass rod (machineable) and turned it down to 0.125.. I had to make my own thumb screws as well. length will depend on your needs.

Cool, I figured there was a collet set with it because I found the spindle nut and the part that goes behind the nut but the draw bar is missing. I might check with my friend to see if that stuff is still in that little shed.

Back