Found this old South Bend lathe and it followed me home

These things will follow you home like this, if you don't fend them off properly. A 3/4" diameter stick usually works for me. Send me your address and I will bring my stick and run it off for you. I guarantee that you won't have to worry about that lathe again!

Man… I still want one of those…

Nice score! The taper attachment looks complete per your OP. I would try to retrace where the thing came from and get the tailstock if possible. With the war provinance I personally wouldn't repaint because it looks so good and complete as is...but that's me.

#TEAMOLDPAINT

Last edited:
Heck that thing doesn't need any cleaning- I'd use it as is! Cool score, your friend got any more of those? :)
-M
agree 100%, doesn't look tatty and it has a nice patina. Plus there's some history there for sure! Would be a good idea to replace the spindle felts/ springs and check out anything that slides or rotates. Felts get hard and oil passages get blocked, especially if it's been sitting for a while.

You really did well there!

Wow, I got more response from this than I've gotten out of the past 10 post that I've put up in in years. Almost to much to take in all at once.:)

I ordered a couple books yesterday on Amazon. The how to run a lathe....the care and operation of a screw cutting lathe. How to run a lathe, for the beginner. And also, a guide to renovating the South Bend9" model A/B and C plus model 10K. I'm sure there will be some more stuff bought before this is over.

Thanks for all the response I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as this goes on. I guess I should mention this because I'm one who actually uses the tools they buy. I was born with this fatal flaw of the need for more tools. Also, one of my biggest regrets in life was not taking that job as machinist apprentice that an old guy offered me back in the early 70's. He had a machine shop in the back of a hardware store it was just him with a couple employees and a dream to start with. The last I heard there were 50 people working there and is now a multi-million dollar operation. I had dreams of my own back then but I have always had a love for taking a piece of rock hard steel and turning it into something useful.

I have to use what I buy now because of some my decisions I've made along the way and what I really want is a little larger machine that I can do a little heavier work with. My plan is now to probably sell this one and my Atlas to help fund something a little larger. Which makes me wonder if I should even spend the time doing a lot of renovation to this right now but rather leave that to someone else who enjoys that type stuff more.

Back