Found this old South Bend lathe and it followed me home

olddude

Registered
Registered
I was over at a friends house over the weekend and he likes old stuff and he knew I like old stuff and he gave me this old lathe in an old wooden box. When I looked at it I knew it was a lathe but just couldn't tell what kind it was because of so much dirt, dust, grease and grime. I loaded it up and carted it home and after a day of cleaning I could finally see what it was. Now my old Atlas has a new bunk mate. Can someone tell me a little about it. From what I have come up with it's prolly 1943/1944. There seems to be a few pieces missing like the draw bar for the collet holder and I'm not sure what all else. It only had 1) 4 jaw chuck and a backing plate. I see a steady and follower rest. It also has a taper attachment but I'm not sure if it is complete. I see a carriage stop with a dial indicator also a lantern tool post with only one tool bar and a few other odds and ends.

I was wondering by looking at the pictures if you can tell me what parts are missing and also would like to know how do you clean the sliding parts without ruining something in the process. All I used on my old Atlas was WD 40 and light steel wool but it was not as rough as this old girl. It did clean up a little but the dials are pretty badly stained. Also the cross feed slide is really tight. I loosened the ways but it is still hard to move. I know I need to get some kind of manual for it just gotta figure out where.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1124.JPG
    IMG_1124.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1131.JPG
    IMG_1131.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1134.JPG
    IMG_1134.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1132.JPG
    IMG_1132.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1129.JPG
    IMG_1129.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1135.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_E1130.JPG
    IMG_E1130.JPG
    181.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_E1125.JPG
    IMG_E1125.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 158
Sweet!
Taper attachment, follow and steady rest to boot... wow!

Is there a tailstock? I don't see it if there is.

@olddude ,

According to the Southbend serial number list here:
http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_db.html
1943 would be correct.

Since you have the catalog number, you should be able to find it in an old catalog here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1617&tab=3

For learning a bunch about these lathes checkout the Southbend book "How to run a Lathe":
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=17726
(there are several versions available)

Also, if you want to spend the money ($25) you can get a PDF download copy of the original "serial number card" that will confirm when/where/who it shipped to, and with what (if any) options:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/south-bend-lathe-serial-card
(Grizzly bought Southbend)

Welcome to the Southbend owners club!

Brian

nice, 4 ft bed.. the tailstock is the only thing missing.

I would just take it all apart.

I boiled my parts in TSP and water. it was better than sanding , or paint stripping. It cleaned the oil out of the cast iron too.
Then I would put it in a large tub of evapo rust... The evapo rust will help get rid of the rust. and the tsp will keep the evapo rust from failing due to oil.

Then I would wash it down again, and give it a WD40 bath to prevent rust.
Once you are ready to paint, I would use mineral spirits to clean off the WD40. Then prime /paint, or just paint.
Most of the rust should have been cleaned by the evapo rust, but you are going to have to use some elbow grease to finish it.
I would use scotch brite and wd40, or before painting mineral spirits and scotch brite. nothing wrong with steel wool, but the small fibers tend to get where you don't want them.

I use steel wool for polishing metal on the lathe though.

Electrolysis bath has worked for me many times.

Back