First mill/drill help

Not telling anyone what they need. Just pointing out that when you start this hobby with only a vague idea of what you’ll be making the need for space and capability can increase.

The OP expressed some concern that he may regret going with a small machine down the road. Most of us start off small and expand capabilities as needs/wants require.

Also pointed out, small mills are usually fairly easy to sell if you upgrade or get out of the hobby. Big machines can be more challenging to sell, especially if they’re nonstandard Bridgeport type.

I too have a small space and have run out of room. Like I said in my first reply, space is the hardest thing for me to make in the shop.

But, I figured out how to get a baby Bridgeport into my space and am glad I did.

John
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

When the shop is 75 ft away, and power is 1 12ga. romex cable, that will not work.

add in that only access is a 24" walk in door, with a 18" threshold.
Hence the current suppy comment ...

In your described use case, a non starter.

Sounds like a bench top 120VAC is It.

You can get a PM25MV base machine (equal or more than the Harbor Freight) with Imperial lead screws and a 3 year Precision Mathews Warranty for $2399.00...
I think It is in most ways, but would suggest the HF 40939 is a more rigid machine at 650lb. The other difference is HP the 40939 is 2 HP. Belts are a bit of a pain though versus Variable speed.
A Bridgeport would be a nice upgrade from the 40939 for me someday, for now that column extension is in the plans, already bought 5/8" plate and metal for vertical support, but Lots of welding and lathe work to make it work. Reminds me of an old song... applied to machinery,

" if you can't be with the one you love,
Love the one you're with" Heh Heh

Last edited:
Some people know how much room and access to power they have.
Some have determined that a 3 phase Bridgeport will not work.
PLEASE consider this when telling people they NEED to get a knee mill.....
If you read my reply's I never told anyone to buy a knee mill. His question was to tell of the advantages or disadvantages of having a knee mill. In either of my reply's I NEVER said you NEED a knee mill. Just would like to clear that up. Thank you.
Some people know how much room and access to power they have.
Some have determined that a 3 phase Bridgeport will not work.
PLEASE consider this when telling people they NEED to get a knee mill.....
DITTO.

I bought a way bigger lathe than I anticipated ever needing and grew into it. (maybe a bit beyond it) Same thing with my mill. it's hard to predict where the hobby will take you when you start gaining all this capability that you never dreamed of having.

I think It is in most ways, but would suggest the HF 40939 is a more rigid machine at 650lb. The other difference is HP the 40939 is 2 HP. Belts are a bit of a pain though versus Variable speed.
A Bridgeport would be a nice upgrade from the 40939 for me someday, for now that column extension is in the plans, already bought 5/8" plate and metal for vertical support, but Lots of welding and lathe work to make it work. Reminds me of an old song... applied to machinery,

" if you can't be with the one you love,
Love the one you're with" Heh Heh
I do not think you understand how the PM25MV works and I suspect the Harbor freight is similar, both are belt driven with a high/lo then a VFD to fine tune the RPM. I would opt for the machine with the best backing/customer support and the imperial lead screws.

I do not think you understand how the PM25MV works and I suspect the Harbor freight is similar, both are belt driven with a high/lo then a VFD to fine tune the RPM. I would opt for the machine with the best backing/customer support and the imperial lead screws.

Maybe something lost in translation here.
I probably took this thread a bit off track responding to the other poster that mentioned the HF "40939" , because I have one.

The HF 40939 is not really a mill drill, it is basically a 1/2 knee mill .

No VFD, all belt speed adjustments . Not a direct drive head or 2 speed belt drive . it is 240VAC only, no 120VAC model available. It has a head tilt to 45* The head is stationary but rotatable in 2 axis, has a movable spindle. The table moves vertically unlike the square column PM model listed that moves the entire head assembly on a square column.. The PM will fit on a bench maybe?
The HF needs a lower support table/ bench, but I don't think it could be used on a standard height bench.
I have no doubt the PM makes a better quality products.
HF does make a bench top mill drill but I have no experience with it.

Attachments

• HF mill 40939.jpg
    HF mill 40939.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Maybe something lost in translation here.
I probably took this thread a bit off track responding to the other poster that mentioned the HF "40939" , because I have one.

The HF 40939 is not really a mill drill, it is basically a 1/2 knee mill .

No VFD, all belt speed adjustments . Not a direct drive head or 2 speed belt drive . it is 240VAC only, no 120VAC model available. It has a head tilt to 45* The head is stationary but rotatable in 2 axis, has a movable spindle. The table moves vertically unlike the square column PM model listed that moves the entire head assembly on a square column.. The PM will fit on a bench maybe?
The HF needs a lower support table/ bench, but I don't think it could be used on a standard height bench.
I have no doubt the PM makes a better quality products.
HF does make a bench top mill drill but I have no experience with it.
Those are not bad looking machines but the PM, for the price has some advantages. This is what I have:
1707498449126.jpeg
And I think its the big brother to the PM25MV but I could be corrected. I know that Quinn on Blodiehacks had the PM25MV for a number of years and you can look back at her old videos to observe it.

I seriously thought about the HF 8x16 lathe for a while; but in my personal research moved away from the HF mills because companies like PM, LMS and Grizzly had machines with better options and features at, relatively speaking, the same price point.

This thread has turned into verbal pissing match. Get a life. We have not heard from the OP in several days. I hope we have not chased him away.

Me LIKE...

That's an absolute beauty.

I looked at the smaller PM 739V? but I did not have a lathe at that time, so saved some money and settled for the very basic HF. "Bondo and all" and believe me they were not shy about using it to cover casting flaws.
Been a bit but I did watch Blondihacks vid on her Mill upgrade. Her "what lathe to buy" video was also very helpful and helped me pick a good used unit.
This thread has turned into verbal pissing match. Get a life. We have not heard from the OP in several days. I hope we have not chased him away.
OP last post
"i get that but how is that better than a square column bench mill where you just crank up the head?"

Looking back, the site says Yesterday at 9:53 AM

Hope we did not chase him off either, but he asked questions directly comparing a knee style versus a movable head style square column.

All I wanted to point out is that the HF model knee is actually LIMITED in z axis travel having had it limit certain operations for me. The square columns seem to be more flexible with more range of distance available in a given size.

Can be had in bench type models or larger floor bench sizes. Knee models generally are not able to be used on a standard height work bench.

trying to answer the OP's question ... " I am not sure it is."

I don't think anyone was in a pissing match, I just thought we got machines model numbers mixed up and wanted to clear up what type of machine that can Mill and drill was being referenced for the description.

I did not mean to be confrontational and don't think Verbotenwhisky did either.
Apparently You see it as a waste of bandwidth.

The OP has questions concerning differences.
The posters here have and use the machines they relayed experience or tips on including you. Imo no harm No foul

Last edited:
Back