First mill/drill help

I have a square column mill and I have 22" clear between the quill and the table..... :oops:
But that's before the vice, the work and a long drill bit. or boring tool that eats into that number quickly. Not only on yours but all others including the Bridgeport.

Some people know how much room and access to power they have.
Some have determined that a 3 phase Bridgeport will not work.
PLEASE consider this when telling people they NEED to get a knee mill.....

I totally agree with an extension. The sad part is these mills not too long ago were around $1.800 and now $2.600 and if you had a coupon at that time you could have it for around $1.200 / 1.300 . About a year and a half ago I was going to make a move on one for my garage until I saw the increase in price. Thanks for the reply.
Actually looks like they just dropped the price back down a couple hundred, so if a guy could find one of those 20% off coupons might be able to get one for maybe $2200. I used a coupon but still paid $2400 iirc. Glad to have it versus no mill.

I almost did not consider a drill press over that reasoning and thankful a member pointed out just buy a VFD and be done with it. Worked out great and Very happy with the performance.
They do make VFD's for 120VAC to 3 phase as well as long as it supply side has enough current capability.

If space is the problem, well that can be a real deal breaker.

Last edited:
But that's before the vice, the work and a long drill bit. or boring tool that eats into that number quickly. Not only on yours but all others including the Bridgeport.
A comparable sized knee mill would have 2" less clearance 3 or 4" more travel in the X-Axis and 1" extra travel in the Y-Axis and that would be a PM949 at a hair over 3000 dollars more. I have owned a couple bridgeports and they are mostly smaller.

If he wants to make small parts (depends upon how small) with limited space, a PM25MV would be a pretty solid machine.

Actually looks like they just dropped the price back down a couple hundred, so if a guy could find one of those 20% off coupons might be able to get one for maybe $2200. I used a coupon but still paid $2400 iirc. Glad to have it versus no mill.
You can get a PM25MV base machine (equal or more than the Harbor Freight) with Imperial lead screws and a 3 year Precision Mathews Warranty for $2399.00...

I almost did not consider a drill press over that reasoning and thankful a member pointed out just buy a VFD and be done with it. Worked out great and Very happy with the performance.
They do make VFD's for 120VAC to 3 phase as well as long as it supply side has enough current capability.

If space is the problem, well that can be a real deal breaker.
When the shop is 75 ft away, and power is 1 12ga. romex cable, that will not work.

add in that only access is a 24" walk in door, with a 18" threshold.

When the shop is 75 ft away, and power is 1 12ga. romex cable, that will not work.

That would limit your activities....

Not telling anyone what they need. Just pointing out that when you start this hobby with only a vague idea of what you’ll be making the need for space and capability can increase.

The OP expressed some concern that he may regret going with a small machine down the road. Most of us start off small and expand capabilities as needs/wants require.

Also pointed out, small mills are usually fairly easy to sell if you upgrade or get out of the hobby. Big machines can be more challenging to sell, especially if they’re nonstandard Bridgeport type.

I too have a small space and have run out of room. Like I said in my first reply, space is the hardest thing for me to make in the shop.

But, I figured out how to get a baby Bridgeport into my space and am glad I did.

John

But, are we suggesting machines for your shop?

Back