First mill/drill help

I fall in line with the folks advising against a round column mill. I had an RF-40 clone round column for quite a while and am well familiar with the disability of recovering the head XY location while moving it up and down in Z. Yes it can be done as post #13 above explains. But those extra steps are a big complication when all you want to do is raise head to do a tapping or reaming operation after drilling a hole.
If you can manage a square column, you'll be glad you did. If the only mill that fits your space/budget is a round column, so be it. You'll get by okay for a while. Eventually you'll want to sell the round column in favor a square column. I did exactly that.
Or, make room for a knee mill. There’s a reason the Bridgeport style is so popular in hobby and industry.

John

I’m sure many others can comment but using the knee for drilling and boring. Tilting and nodding head. Ram that slides back and forth and rotates with attachment for accessories. Parts availability. Common knowledge on how to do different operations.

Sure there are others.

John

I’m sure many others can comment but using the knee for drilling and boring. Tilting and nodding head. Ram that slides back and forth and rotates with attachment for accessories. Parts availability. Common knowledge on how to do different operations.

Sure there are others.

John
how does the knee help with drilling vs a quill?
i always saw the knee as a down side.

how does the knee help with drilling vs a quill?
i always saw the knee as a down side.
So you just ran out of travel with your quill but still need to go another 3" to complete the drilling project, just crank up that knee. This is just to show how the knee works to your advantage.

Last edited:
So you just ran out of travel with your quill but still need to go another 3" to complete the drilling project, just crank up that knee. This is just to show how the knee works to your advantage.
i get that but how is that better than a square column bench mill where you just crank up the head?

i get that but how is that better than a square column bench mill where you just crank up the head?
All I am saying is a knee mill will give you more options by increasing your work height. Guys are gonna hit the ceiling with this, but take a look at Central Machinery's # 40939 knee mill. Look on You Tube there are many nice mods to this mill that can make this a viable choice for the same cost (or cheaper) as a bench top mill. I just want to put this out there. Hey, ya never know.

All I am saying is a knee mill will give you more options by increasing your work height. Guys are gonna hit the ceiling with this, but take a look at Central Machinery's # 40939 knee mill. Look on You Tube there are many nice mods to this mill that can make this a viable choice for the same cost (or cheaper) as a bench top mill. I just want to put this out there. Hey, ya never know.
:) I have and am planning on making a column extension for mine because it has limited z clearance especially with indexer mounted. That said at least it is doable. I would guess it is more 'stiff' than some bench top models. If there were more used Bridgeports available locally I would have gone that route, especially if available for the price of the new HF 40939.

Last edited:
I have a square column mill and I have 22" clear between the quill and the table..... :oops:

:) I have and am planning on making a column extension for mine because it has limited z clearance especially with indexer mounted. That said at least it is doable.
I totally agree with an extension. The sad part is these mills not too long ago were around $1.800 and now $2.600 and if you had a coupon at that time you could have it for around $1.200 / 1.300 . About a year and a half ago I was going to make a move on one for my garage until I saw the increase in price. Thanks for the reply.

Back