Finally bought a lathe!!! Clausing 5429!!!!

Ok I have to ask before I screw anything up. Can I just take and move the whole carriage to the end of the bed and remove the whole thing? Or do I have to take it apart while on the lathe? No real updates. I need to get off my butt and get the lead out!!!

Chris

Yes, you can slide it off in on piece. On mine I had to drive the pin out of the lead screw and loosen the clamps on the underside of the cross slide a bit. Or you can remove the bolts that go down through the top of the cross slide into the apron casting and remove it in two assemblies. Either way, it's not a big job.

Chuck

Thank you chuck and toag!! Hopefully tomorrow I can accomplish something on this lol

Chris

Very cool. I just picked one of those up last week.
ezu7yza3.jpg
se9yja9u.jpg
This machine came with a new tool holder/post, 4 jaw chuck, several pieces of new tooling and a dead center and chuck for tail stock.

ezu7yza3.jpg

ezu7yza3.jpg

se9yja9u.jpg

se9yja9u.jpg

Wow yours looks really really good!!!! I also see that you have the clutch with yours. I kinda wish mine had that. How big of a four jaw is that?

Thanks,
Chris

The chuck in the pic is the 3 jaw that came on the machine it's about 6". It came with a set of 3 reverse jaws to grab larger items. The 4 jaw chuck is in the drawer it's an 8" unit.
renyhy6u.jpg
Sorry It's a really bad pic but here is the reverse jaws holding a 6" piece of plastic.

renyhy6u.jpg

Thanks for the information. Right now, my 3 jaw is an 8 incher. I was thinking of going 6 for the 4 jaw. But I'm not to sure on that :thinking:

Thanks,
Chris

Your three jaw will work great, just be careful if you extend the jaws very far for large parts, they may hit the bed... always check with a few spins before hitting the old forward switch =)

nice looking machine Moddz, i like the cabinet shelf under the chip tray.

A little update. Got a lot done in the shop. It's about time to get my but in gear and finally get this thing going!!! I'm in the market for a 4 jaw for her, and a steady rest if I can find one. What size 4 jaws would you guys consider?

thanks,
Chris

Back