Finally bought a lathe!!! Clausing 5429!!!!

Looks good Chris. Real good. But I gotta ask, when are you going to degrease that thing?
Thank you. A year with a file helped me lol. It is going to be degreased here really soon!!! I gotta put my bench top together first. Oh and may be lights... Naa I dont need lights lol. But I do need to get on my workbench top. Then I will pull it apart and de-grease/paint.

Chris

wow your lathe looks great when i bought mine the cross slide was froze and the variable speed didnt work no toolpost or chucks. But it did come with a turret attachment and collet closer with a drawer full of collets.
Keep us posted of your progress have fun any question just ask.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1364406653788.jpg

Nice lathe electromech!! Is that a 5429 as well? I get weird looks when I say that model number lol. I still have to clean mine all up and paint it.

Thanks,
Chris

the biggest problem i had was with the variable drive. Replaced all bearings, motor, fabbed rpm indicator. What fun

Well I went out and worked on it some more today. No pictures though. And the chuck is still stuck as ever....:( Also a new development, a vibration... again :( I dont know where its coming from, I gotta check that out. No leveling feet or anything on it. So maybe that will help out. But I did get some degreasing done!!!

Chris

I would check with a variable speed drive bearings, especially with the movable pulley that is on the counter shaft.

so I didn't read what's up with the chuck to not get the collar rotate to unscrew the chuck.

Sorry did see you responded. I was on vacation in St. Louis :whistle: Anyway, I finally managed to get the chuck off. I had to remove the chuck from the back plate and used a little bit of heat to get the back plate off of the spindle. As soon as it came off, the threads look like new. I will try and post a picture or two today.

Chris

Nice score onthe lathe.It looks a lot like my 5914 before i took it apart and have pieces all over the place:lmao:.I like that still base cabnet that's on your lathe mine is turned faceing out the end of the bed and only has shelves in it.

Back