Finally bought a lathe!!! Clausing 5429!!!!

Tamper84

Active User
Registered
Yes you all read that correctly!! Finally bought on. Clausing 5429 variable speed, from 45 in back gear to 1400. Everything works great!! Just needs a really good cleaning and paint. But I have to finish off the shop first. I hope I hit the lottery lol. Now lets see if I can post a picture. She comes home tommorrow!!! Lets see I need a 4 jaw chuck, tool post and a chuck for the tail stock. Can anyone recommend me any? Oh and btw the ways are dang near perfect!!

Chris

image.jpg image.jpg

Well, that's an impressive beast!

And so the journey begins...

Enjoy!

Bernard

Thanks guys. I have to put a lot of elbow grease in it. But oh well. Also, gotta get off my butt and get a phase converter going.

Chris

Nice score!

I'd recommend getting a quick change tool post (qctp) asap! I have heard that the createtool multifix 40 position tool post is nice (i think you would need either A set or E set...) if you get one let me know how it is i am thinking of getting a set.

Thanks everyone! It came home yesterday with out a hitch. It's good to have a buddy that owns a roll back! Here is a picture of me and the lathe. Don't mind the surroundings, I have to finish framing up the walls in the shop and then the lathe can move to her final home. I don't have a clue why the picture is side ways. Took it the same way as the others with my phone and uploaded them to here from the phone. :dunno:

Chris

image.jpg

Got the lathe moved into place. Almost lol. Just need to slide it against the wall, that will happen later. Have to give the electrican some room to run wire tomorrow! But I have discovered a problem with the lead screw. It has some play longitudinally. There is a roll pin half way out. Hope fully that is the problem. Oh well everything else about this machine is sweet. Can't wait to start making chips!

Chris

image.jpg

Nice score on the Lathe Chris, I had a 4914 but when I got the 13" Leblond I gave it away. any way here is your picture turned.

Paul

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice score on the Lathe Chris, I had a 4914 but when I got the 13" Leblond I gave it away. any way here is your picture turned.

Paul
Thank you Paul. I have no idea what I did wrong with the picture lol.

Thanks,
Chris

Got the lathe moved into place. Almost lol. Just need to slide it against the wall, that will happen later. Have to give the electrican some room to run wire tomorrow! But I have discovered a problem with the lead screw. It has some play longitudinally. There is a roll pin half way out. Hope fully that is the problem. Oh well everything else about this machine is sweet. Can't wait to start making chips!

Chris

Hey Chris, congrats on the new toy. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from the very experienced people here. Since I'm getting started playing with my Clausing 4902 I have to say my two bits (literally).

If you don't already have the manual, get it from Clausing first. They are really helpful if you ask. First page of the manual talks about moving the machine and warns you not to slide it on the floor. I don't know if you were being literal there, but it can't hurt to mention it. The rubber pads on the levelers could get damaged by trying to slide it.

About the leadscrew: if your 5x is like my 4x the screw is connected to the output shaft of the QCGB with a fail-safe brass shear pin. This will shear off in case of overload and save the gearbox and leadscrew. If somebody did this, got PO'ed , and replaced it with a roll pin, then they have defeated the whole purpose of the design. Lathe equivalent of the penny in the fuse box. The manual clearly explains proper procedure for removal of the leadscrew. You can search the forums for discussion of shear pins.

Good luck!

Tim

Back