Finally bought a lathe!!! Clausing 5429!!!!

Welp, the lathe is up and running!!!!! :D But something is different with the rpc, its running in reverse lol. So I have to switch some wires on the lathe to make all of the controls go back to normal. Or I could run it as is, just backwards lol.

Chris

just reverse any 2 power wires, the phase will reverse!
glad to hear the beast lives!!!!:))

Thanks Mike!!! So where do I switch the wires? I have a disconnect an on and off switch and a drum switch. Ill put a picture up. And while I was out there messing around with it, I noticed a noise I didn't hear before, got to looking, I have a gear with a broken tooth :scared: So now I have to find that gear. Oh well...I did want a project lol.

image.jpg image.jpg

The part number is Q-540-S. if anyone has one laying around lol

Chris

Ahhhhhh.....the dreaded broken gear. Lots of threads on gear repair. If your impatient like me...braze, shape with a die grinder, and finish with a file. Won't be like a new gear, but the rest of the teeth on the gear probably aren't like new either. If you like new stuff, Boston Gear probably has one that fits or can be milled to fit. Definitely not a deal breaker.

Chuck

You are correct sir!! I dont care about new stuff, or I would of bought a new lathe lol. I just dont understand how this only broke out one tooth!! On the gears I have seen before, if one is gone, it seems at least 5 or 6 around are gone as well. But thats the only tooth....:dunno:

Chris

Thanks Mike!!! So where do I switch the wires? I have a disconnect an on and off switch and a drum switch. Ill put a picture up. And while I was out there messing around with it, I noticed a noise I didn't hear before, got to looking, I have a gear with a broken tooth :scared: So now I have to find that gear. Oh well...I did want a project lol.

hey chris,
you can switch the wires on the lathe motor itself, or the idler motor...it makes no difference, do it where it is convenient.
i don't know how you have the wiring colored, but in most systems you'll have a red,white,black,and green wires. the white wire may have a blue indicator or piece of tape differentiating it from a neutral wire.
so, if you are unsure just change red and black power wires then you are good to go!
lmk if this works for you!
take er' easy
mike

You are correct sir!! I dont care about new stuff, or I would of bought a new lathe lol. I just dont understand how this only broke out one tooth!! On the gears I have seen before, if one is gone, it seems at least 5 or 6 around are gone as well. But thats the only tooth....:dunno:

Chris
these is the good times chris!!
i know what you are going through!!! the sb has 1 missing tooth and multiple tips missing to boot!
you can find them sometimes on ebay, clausing does still have parts but they can get pricey...
i'll see if there are others and get back to you.
good luck chris, it's a labor of love because there ain't no money that equals the satisfaction of using your own tools.
happy turning!!

Well apparently my last couple of posts are gone. Oh well. But I did get the gear fixed :biggrin: I'm a happy camper. A little noise still, but I guess it's to be expected with a gear that has three spots fixed on it. And it's been hand filed on two of them. The old girl is 53 years old, she make a little noise lol.

Thanks,
Chris

image.jpg

Looks good Chris. Real good. But I gotta ask, when are you going to degrease that thing?

Back