Finally bought a lathe!!! Clausing 5429!!!!

Hey Chris, congrats on the new toy. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from the very experienced people here. Since I'm getting started playing with my Clausing 4902 I have to say my two bits (literally).

If you don't already have the manual, get it from Clausing first. They are really helpful if you ask. First page of the manual talks about moving the machine and warns you not to slide it on the floor. I don't know if you were being literal there, but it can't hurt to mention it. The rubber pads on the levelers could get damaged by trying to slide it.

About the leadscrew: if your 5x is like my 4x the screw is connected to the output shaft of the QCGB with a fail-safe brass shear pin. This will shear off in case of overload and save the gearbox and leadscrew. If somebody did this, got PO'ed , and replaced it with a roll pin, then they have defeated the whole purpose of the design. Lathe equivalent of the penny in the fuse box. The manual clearly explains proper procedure for removal of the leadscrew. You can search the forums for discussion of shear pins.

Good luck!

Tim

Thank you Tim. Yes I already got a manual off of Clausing. They actually emailed me one lol. And yes I did slide the lathe. I dont have the leveling feet on it, so no worries there lol Thank you for the brass fail pin. The roll pin is kinda out of it. But looking at my manual, it just says roll pin in there....Hmm....

Thanks,
Chris

you got me jealous Chris.....lol
sweet score, you'll be able to turn some great work from her!
i can't wait to see what she looks like painted!

I cant wait to see it painted either!!! :)) But that will be waiting now. My buddy couldnt do the wiring today. But I did purchase everything I need to wire it all up today. Oh I went with 6 gauge!!!!:yikes: They either had that or 12 gauge. So six it was. And of course they only had a 125' roll..............Im going to have plenty of wire:lmao: I may just have my electrican buddy sway my other 220 outlets with this stuff. I sure have enough!!!! Oh and btw, the six gauge, 169.99 for the 125 feet.

Chris

Well all I am in the process of buying tooling and accessories for this. What size 4 jaw should I get for it? Of course the chuck is stuck on it, so I'm fighting it getting off. Lol. But would you all know what kind of spindle it has? I know it's threaded on.

What size tool post should I get? Axa or Bxa? They both seem to fit the bill.

Thanks,
Chris

"What size tool post should I get? Axa or Bxa? They both seem to fit the bill."

If it's 11" or smaller go with the axa...if it's 12 or bigger go with the bxa. As far as the spindle threads, my 10" clausing has 1 3/4-8 tpi. Yours may be bigger than that.

Chuck

"What size tool post should I get? Axa or Bxa? They both seem to fit the bill."

If it's 11" or smaller go with the axa...if it's 12 or bigger go with the bxa. As far as the spindle threads, my 10" clausing has 1 3/4-8 tpi. Yours may be bigger than that.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck!! It is a 12" lathe. I was confused as they both are sold for 12" lathes.

Chris

Perfect size! I'm glad you found something , I hate to see anyone machineless. Now you just need the matching mill and saw.

Perfect size! I'm glad you found something , I hate to see anyone machineless. Now you just need the matching mill and saw.

Thank you!! Do you know of anyone getting rid of an 8520 anywhere around here lol. Hmmm a Clausing saw you say....hmmmm:thinking:

Chris

Have you been to HGR Industrial surplus? There's a lot of parts there, or LT Associates in Canton, you never know what they'll have.

"Thank you Chuck!! It is a 12" lathe. I was confused as they both are sold for 12" lathes."

I'm sure the axa would work, but it would limit the size of tooling you could use. Nice lathe....looks like a diamond in the rough.

Chuck

Back