Finally, a vacation...

You know I was just having some fun with the photo... Continue to enjoy your vacation!

You know I was just having some fun with the photo... Continue to enjoy your vacation!
No worries! Thought it was cute. I'd be surprised to find sandals like that!

Think I'll go jump in the water now - the sand and waves are calling me.

You know a tire repair place has patch glue (rubber cement) that would do it.

You know a tire repair place has patch glue (rubber cement) that would do it.
You are right. Wished I had thought of that. For the moment, the sandals are functional.

When I get home, or if the glue fails, I will try that out. I really need a way to clamp the sandal while the glue sets. Don't have a way to do that at the moment. Want the edges to be bonded, which is harder with out clamps.

Really want a cobbler. They have all the right tools to repair shoes and sandals.

You are right. Wished I had thought of that. For the moment, the sandals are functional.

When I get home, or if the glue fails, I will try that out. I really need a way to clamp the sandal while the glue sets. Don't have a way to do that at the moment. Want the edges to be bonded, which is harder with out clamps.

Really want a cobbler. They have all the right tools to repair shoes and sandals.
cobblers are hard to find, tire repair ubiquitous.

Well it's getting close to dinner time here.

We will be having dinner on the beach with white linens on the tables. One of our family members is celebrating her 50th birthday today. The patriarch of the family recently celebrated his 80th birthday. So this should be very, very nice evening.

Visited Delphi. There was a temple to Apollo there. There also was the Oracle there. It's said there was a natural seep from the ground there, in the temple, that emitted methane, ethane and some other gases. The Oracle would apparently go to the temple, once every month or so, sit in the temple, breathe in the gases and chew bay leaves. When the priest would ask questions of the Oracle, she would say something cryptic and the priest would come out of the temple and tell the questioner an answer. Many times the answer was ambiguous. (Hard to be wrong that way!). It was an interesting museum and a very interesting site. It was also quite hot, at about 98F. Yeah, it was a dry heat, 27% relative humidity, but it was scorching, because the sun was reflecting off the light colored stone, which was everywhere. Still, it was an extremely fascinating visit.
PXL_20230824_091139297.jpgPXL_20230824_091619901.jpg
We had lunch in Arachova, which was fun. But we arrived after "siesta" started, so no tire stores or cobblers were open. Most shops were closed. Surprisingly, Arachova is a skiing destination in the winter. We were there in the low season!

Our stay at Club Med ended. We took a ferry and a bus back to the airport. Then we took a cab to the center of Athens. Arrived at our hotel and checked in. Dumped our bags and went out for the day. We had a not so quick lunch in a popular local souvlaki place. Then we went to the Acropolis Museum and finally to the Acropolis and the Parthenon. I did this wearing sandals, which was a mistake on my part. The stones were worn smooth and were pretty slippery, at least for my sandals. But we all perservered and made it to the top and back. It was rather impressive, but also a little bit sad. Most of the intervening empires had little regards for the amazing beauty and grandeur of the site and buildings. What was there must have been magnificent. The Parthenon was relatively intact until around 1670 or so. Apparently there was a big explosion and a lot of the building was destroyed. Other countries, more powerful than Greece carved off pieces of the Parthenon and hauled them away to their countries. Sometimes they were unsuccessful in removing the artifacts and ended up destroying them by dropping them.
PXL_20230826_153326273.jpgPXL_20230826_152909957.jpg
The Parthenon. It seems to be in perpetual restoration.
PXL_20230826_152806389.jpg
This is the Erechtheion, which uses figures of women to act as the columns (Caryatids). It's a separate building on top of the Acropolis. There's other ruins up top, as well as a spectacular view of Athens. Have to say this was a worthwhile little side excursion.
caryatids-of-the-erechtheion-975.jpg
Picture just above is not mine. Found it at https://www.worldhistory.org/image/975/caryatids-of-the-erechtheion/

We met up with some more family and had dinner in Athens. Was a lovely evening.

Well, the really fun stuff is about to be over. Tomorrow we go to the airport and start the trip home. It's been a welcome diversion for a couple of weeks. Had lots of fun, good food and good times.

Last edited:
Back