Finally, a vacation...

#8x 3/4" oval head sheet metal screws, about 12 should do. Make sure to use stainless as they are water shoes. Ha ha. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. The places you've seen are amazing. Things not always going perfectly smooth just adds to the adventure and seems to make the memories stick better somehow. Glad nothing has gone too seriously off track. Looking forward to the rest of the journey. Thanks again for taking us along. Best of luck with the shoes, pebbly beaches are a bit rough on the feet for sure.
Peyton

Communications are not that great here. Think it is because of translating through three or more languages, French, English and Greek, maybe others. Anyways, after telling my wife (not me, although they had my number) that they would bring the glue to our room yesterday, they sent her a really cryptic message with a wrong name that the glue would arrive today. I wasn't sure if it would show up at all. Today I went to reception for something unrelated. I asked at the end about the glue for my shoe. They handed me a small tube of super glue. (They want it back when I am done. I suppose that's ok.)

I could make some dots and somehow get the sole in place quickly enough. Don't want to mess this up, although the worst that can happen is I muff it (and chuck the shoes). What kind of set time do I have? If 10 seconds I'm sure I can position it, at 3-5 seconds, I'm not sure. The writing on the tube is "Greek" to me, literally and figuratively!
PXL_20230822_124603849.jpgPXL_20230822_124627708.jpg
Wrong glue for the job? Or could it work ok?

Only one way to find out... go for it. And bring them back the cap... you are going to use it all...

Turns out I need to do both shoes! I was able to get the other one apart. Think I will put on the shoe uppers and glue the sole and put weight on them a while. Ha ha hope I don't glue my feet together. :grin big:

Not having high hopes for this, but maybe I'll be surprised. Really the wrong glue for the job, but you do what you have to do! Had enough working time, so that's good. But the side seal and adhesion won't be good, so it will let in sand and water. These guys will have to be replaced when I get back home. They lasted a while, so can't complain too much.

Shoes are sort of fixed, at least for some walking.

In a weird note, there was a power failure. Seems to be over several buildings, hopefully not over the whole site. Tried sending an email to them, but I'm getting an odd authentication error and the email doesn't send. Hope it doesn't last through the night as it's still 95F right now. I should check to see if the electronic door lock still works, it does.

When I get out of this resort area, I will look around. These resorts like to keep you captive. Will be poking around soon, as I'm getting antsy. The activities are varied, but there's no machining or fabricating, or anything of that nature. Was on a paddle board, and swam and reacquainted myself with a bow and arrow. Spent time simply looking at the beautiful scenery. And looked after a 3.5 year old grandson. No shortage of things to do, but many require extended periods in the sun. Have a good light colored hat, but the hot sun can take a bit out of you. After a while, I need some shade and a lot of cool water.

I was holding back... but I am going to ask away :D. You are in Greece!! Why not buy some locally-made new Greek leather sandals!!???

View attachment 457682
I think I'd skip the Mercury wings, but otherwise, those look nice. Brought my Birkenstock sandals for the trip along with the Keen water shoes. The Birkenstock's have been holding up for 45 years. They are nothing to look at, but they are comfortable. Had them resoled once, maybe 20 years ago? The straps have stretched a little, but they are in good shape.

The repaired water shoes survived getting wet at the pool. Will try the beach later.

Going to Delphi tomorrow, which ought to be fun. Have a question for the Oracle... jk. We'll climb up, have lunch there and walk around the town. Bet there's a store or two there that takes euros. Would be nice to find some comfy sandals.

Back