Finally, a vacation...

Well the closest we get to Paris is the airport. :confused: But we did have a nice warm quiche at the airport, which was quite respectable.

Hanging out waiting for the last flight back home. We get back at 8:30pm EDT our time, or about 3:30am Greece time. Long day, for sure. It's been a great trip.

I figure we have a few more trips we can do before it gets too hard. A lot of these locations would be difficult if impaired. I was observing the accommodations and it's darn hard, at least in Greece. A few buildings are ok, but everywhere else one has to be pretty nimble to get about. The sidewalks on the narrow streets are shoulder width wide with stuff in the middle of them. Not saying it's a bad place, nor that other places are so much better, but it's something to be aware of.

The last hotel we were at was quite unusual. There was a locked iron gate you had to ring. They opened the gate. Then you had to haul your bags up three marble steps into the small lobby. There was a spiral marble staircase. You had to go up 4 steps to get to the elevator. The elevator was old fashioned looking with Mahogany paneling, and double doors. The first was an ornate iron gate. The second was a set of wooden doors with windows. The elevator was tiny, just barely big enough for 2 people and their bags. My rucksack got hung up in the doorway. Had to turn sideways to get in the elevator. When you selected your floor, classical music started playing. Thought it was quirky but elegant.

Last leg of the journey. Bus to our city. I'd forgotten how awful standard American coffee is. Really dreadful, tasteless and weak. No matter, I'll make something when I get home.

:laughing: :laughing: it sure is. I will never forget my intro to American coffee. In west Virginia my first morning, I woke up, went into the kitchen where I could smell the coffee, I went to pour a cup whereupon Bill (my wife's brother in law) said "Carefull, its been made a while and is a bit strong."
I added 3 teaspoons of instant to it and it was still too tasteless for me.
My morning coffee is three shots from the espresso machine, tablespoon of butter, large dollop of cream topped up with foaming milk.
Dont knock it till youve tried it.

:laughing: :laughing: it sure is. I will never forget my intro to American coffee. In west Virginia my first morning, I woke up, went into the kitchen where I could smell the coffee, I went to pour a cup whereupon Bill (my wife's brother in law) said "Carefull, its been made a while and is a bit strong."
I added 3 teaspoons of instant to it and it was still too tasteless for me.
My morning coffee is three shots from the espresso machine, tablespoon of butter, large dollop of cream topped up with foaming milk.
Dont knock it till youve tried it.
Haven't tried the butter yet, but back home with a decent cup of java right now. I'm a lightweight, with only two shots of Yirgacheffe espresso, but at least it's real coffee!

We need to restock the refrigerator, suspect there's a few dodgey dishes in there.

Also have to inspect the garden. I spotted two huge cucumbers there. There's probably quite a few lurking under all the foliage. Wished I knew some dishes that would use them. Suspect they are seedy. Chilies look good though! Hope there's some tomatoes there...

I'm thinking those sandals were meant for Achilles, who was Greek. Mercury was a copyright-infringing, culture-reappropriating Roman.
What he said...

There was quite a bit of cultural reappropriation by the Romans. My apologies to the Greek people. When I was there, all my old mythology classes and names were bubbling about in my head. Found it difficult to separate the different eras at times. Pick a different century and there may have been a different empires ruling.

Wished I knew some dishes that would use them. Suspect they are seedy. Chilies look good though! Hope there's some tomatoes there...
Sweet 'n' Sour Cucumbers
peel and de-seed the cucumbers if the seeds are too large.
Cut the firm flesh into batons about little finger size.
Pour some white vinegar into a bowel, dissolve some salt into the vinegar till you think its salty enough, start dissolving raw sugar a bit at a time until you can taste the sweet/sour taste. If the vinegar taste is very strong just water it down a little.
It may need more sugar and salt if you add more water.
Soak (marinate) the cucumber in the sweet 'n' sour liquid for at least 1 hour before eating.
The cucumbers can be left overnight in the marinade in the fridge and when eaten more cucumber can be added to the liquid.

Back