Eisen 1440EV has Shipped!

@jareese I just went out into my shop and looked at mine. I see what you're saying with the sake head cap screws being inaccessible. There are two bolts and two pins that essentially hold the apron onto the saddle.
I could do a video chat with you but I don't have a solution yet on how to get that apart.

Page 42 of the precision Matthews 1440 lathe gives you the breakdown on how that apron goes together.

To remove the saddle is pretty easy. Block the gear box Assy. And lead screw so when it’s disconnected it’s supported.
You need to remove the plates that are bolted to the bottom of the saddle that keep it locked down to the lathe bed.
Unbolt the Allen’s on top the saddle that connect the saddle to the gearbox.
That should get you to the point of separation.
Personally I’d replace the bent screw. A new one shouldn’t be to bad. Good luck on your repairs!
He can't reach the inside SHCS for removal. I too am a bit stumped.

It's a new lathe. I personally wouldn't be happy with stray replacement parts. Eisen is a good company and great to deal with. I Purchased a lathe from them and it was totally destroyed in transit. I rejected the machine on delivery and they sent a replacement right out. I'm sure they will bend over backward to get you fixed up.
Boy, that's good to hear.
I wonder what the parts are going to cost!!

It sure seems like transit damage happens all too often.

Ok, let’s think I have this done right. It’s done quick and I’m not a YouTube rockstar like BladesIIB so no judging!!

The last time I removed my apron I cut off an Allen wrench to fit.

I remember now.... That was after I tool the entire assembly off. Yes the bearing block, along with the 3 rods.

Ok, so I just spent some time looking at mine. I learned two things. 1.) My apron has an adjustment "gib" towards the tailstock end that I didn't even know was there. Mine needs adjustment. 2.) I was looking for my nice zero flute countersink. I found it in the chuck of my tailstock.

But, as @Dabbler just mentioned, I think that you may have to remove the bearing block for the 3 rods on the tailstock end. Take a look at page 33 of the PM manual. There is one bolt and one pin holding it on.
I would remove the gibs on the splash shield side of the saddle. Then, that bearing block on the tailstock end while supporting the apron (run the apron down towards the tailstock). Take the two SHCS out of the saddle that attaches it to the apron. Now, you should have enough flex in the 3 rods to move the saddle and apron toward you. measured 12mm for required movement before the gibs you cannot reach will clear the bed. Now you should be able to lift the saddle off the apron. Take your time because the pins holding those two castings together are going to be snug.
Wish I was closer or I would drive down there and give you a hand.

Back