Eisen 1440EV has Shipped!

Good morning, when I need things like tail stocks, knobs/handles lathe gear covers, lanterns and the like I get in touch with machinery sellers.These guts buy shops and there stock and spare parts. I found many oddball pieces that I needed desperately to complete a machine from them. If Eisen can't help you I would give it a shot. You might be surprised what these guys have. One shop I dealt with was in Cloister New Jersey and he would let you roam his building to find what was needed. Unfortunately that supplier was on a valuable piece of property and is no longer in business. Believe it or not when your'e up and running it will be a distant memory.
Do you by chance have some names of some companies?

Do you by chance have some names of some companies?
Try this shop, Cook machine tools. in south New Jersey. If they can't help he may point you to other shops that may. I would also hit e-bay, Craigs list, Facebook and Google and look for lathe parts there. Try local machine shops for help in finding other suppliers closer to you. Charlie.

@jareese If you do a "used metalworking machinery" search, you will probably find some hits. There are quite a few towards Milwaukee and Chicago. During my numerous treks to the Oshkosh Airshow, I drove by this place which is in Waupaca. I have never been there, but @pdentrem has been there, I believe.
I know that your anxiety is pretty high at the moment (mine would be through the roof), but before searches are conducted, and phone calls are made, we need to determine what is wrong with your lathe. 1.) I would take start by taking the saddle apart. The broken cross-slide casting is a great place to start. 2.) Once this is apart, any other damage can be assessed. 3.) Evaluate the headstock to ensure it is not cracked. A thorough review is required. 3.) Once this is all done and notes are taken, a call to Eisen is in order to determine their ability to provide replacement of parts that are broken/damaged. 3.) IF Eisen can't help you, then we will start down the other paths of A.) Used parts. B.) New parts that are provided by other mfgs. C.) Repair of your broken items.
But, until Eisen is ruled out (which I do believe that they will help you), I would not spend any time tracking down used machinery dealers or similar.
Keep in mind that there are other distributors of "this" lathe, so I believe the options for replacement parts will be more than just a few.

@Charles scozzari He lives in Wisconsin, so East Coast perusing of machinery dealers, other than by phone or email, is out of the question.

I'd approach Eisen with full disclosure, tell them exactly what happened, send pictures etc. They could possibly point out potential problems to look for, you might overlook, this situation probably has happened before. They may even be sympathetic to your plight and work with you to help make the repairs as low cost as possible. I don't see anything to loose.

@jareese If you do a "used metalworking machinery" search, you will probably find some hits. There are quite a few towards Milwaukee and Chicago. During my numerous treks to the Oshkosh Airshow, I drove by this place which is in Waupaca. I have never been there, but @pdentrem has been there, I believe.
I know that your anxiety is pretty high at the moment (mine would be through the roof), but before searches are conducted, and phone calls are made, we need to determine what is wrong with your lathe. 1.) I would take start by taking the saddle apart. The broken cross-slide casting is a great place to start. 2.) Once this is apart, any other damage can be assessed. 3.) Evaluate the headstock to ensure it is not cracked. A thorough review is required. 3.) Once this is all done and notes are taken, a call to Eisen is in order to determine their ability to provide replacement of parts that are broken/damaged. 3.) IF Eisen can't help you, then we will start down the other paths of A.) Used parts. B.) New parts that are provided by other mfgs. C.) Repair of your broken items.
But, until Eisen is ruled out (which I do believe that they will help you), I would not spend any time tracking down used machinery dealers or similar.
Keep in mind that there are other distributors of "this" lathe, so I believe the options for replacement parts will be more than just a few.

@Charles scozzari He lives in Wisconsin, so East Coast perusing of machinery dealers, other than by phone or email, is out of the question.
Totally agree - I just like to have alternative plans just in case.
Thanks for all the info!

Hi, I do agree that there must be an assessment of all that's needed, Eisen is the absolute first stop. My suggestion would only help if for some reason Eisen won't /can't help. But when in need distance is no longer a problem. Whatever I have to do to secure a part I will do to get over that bump in the road. When talking with shops they can put you in contact with people throughout the country who may help get what you need. It was offered as an option if all else fails. Thanks for you reply, Charlie.

Hi, I do agree that there must be an assessment of all that's needed, Eisen is the absolute first stop. My suggestion would only help if for some reason Eisen won't /can't help. But when in need distance is no longer a problem. Whatever I have to do to secure a part I will do to get over that bump in the road. When talking with shops they can put you in contact with people throughout the country who may help get what you need. It was offered as an option if all else fails. Thanks for you reply, Charlie.
Agreed. Thanks for your input. I’ll take all options.

It might be worth a call to your homeowners insurance agent.

It's a new lathe. I personally wouldn't be happy with stray replacement parts. Eisen is a good company and great to deal with. I Purchased a lathe from them and it was totally destroyed in transit. I rejected the machine on delivery and they sent a replacement right out. I'm sure they will bend over backward to get you fixed up.

Back