Dumb things you own, and never use

I'm almost sure I'll never use them again and they are taking up valuable space but I still hang on to these tools so maybe in the future I could trade them or most likely give them to someone who needs or appreciates them.
You never know. I haven't turned anything on a wood lathe since that day long years ago when I decided I needed a toothpick holder.

I got into wet shaving, and went through a succession of unsatisfactory shave brushes before ending up with these nice hunks of rosewood, and a nice knot. I'm going to blow the dust, cobwebs, and who knows what else off the old Jet and spin it up. Turning wood will be interesting. Wood lathes are a lot less complicated. This is also prep for when I have to hand turn some parts for the clock I'm building. I've never free turned metal, but you can. My wood lathe tools are HSS, and I could probably just use them on the metal lathe with a suitable tool rest to make the fancy brass spindle thingies. It's time for some research.

I'm not sorry I kept the wood lathe. I still have the table saw, planer, and jointer too. I don't use them much, because I don't do much woodworking anymore, but all keeping them costs me is a little maintenance every year or so to keep them rust free.

I have an old Harley that uses points and condenser and occasionally work on a local Sportster. Timing light, dwell-tachometer and a volt-ohm meter are a necessity with old iron. A fair amount of my tools are for old stuff.
panhead now 2 (2021_05_19 01_22_57 UTC).jpg

I have an old Harley that uses points and condenser and occasionally work on a local Sportster. Timing light, dwell-tachometer and a volt-ohm meter are a necessity with old iron. A fair amount of my tools are for old stuff.
View attachment 420053
Very nice-looking old Harley, is that what they call a Pan Head?

1662976223118.png

Tired of parting problems, I decided to sink some money into The™ Real™ Stuff™, and I bought a Genuine™ Aloris™ AXA7™, and a Genuine™ Aloris™ carbide insert tool holder and Guine™ Aloris™ carbide parting inserts. It cost something like $210,000, because it's made of AMERICA!!!!!!!!

1662976560240.png

I've tried running it fast, and I've tried running it slow. I've tried running it wet and I've tried running it dry. All parting tools are somewhere toward the inside of Dante's circles of Hell, but this one in particular is just such an obnoxious little butthole that I can't believe I wasted money on it.

Maybe you need a lathe this is 50,000 times heavier, 50,000 times more rigid, and 50,000 times more, uh, purple?

Whatever. I can clearly derive no use whatsoever from this obnoxious Pee Oh Ess, and if anybody wants the parting blade and the few inserts I haven't yet broken, I will trade it all for

View attachment 420167

Tired of parting problems, I decided to sink some money into The™ Real™ Stuff™, and I bought a Genuine™ Aloris™ AXA7™, and a Genuine™ Aloris™ carbide insert tool holder and Guine™ Aloris™ carbide parting inserts. It cost something like $210,000, because it's made of AMERICA!!!!!!!!

View attachment 420168

I've tried running it fast, and I've tried running it slow. I've tried running it wet and I've tried running it dry. All parting tools are somewhere toward the inside of Dante's circles of Hell, but this one in particular is just such an obnoxious little butthole that I can't believe I wasted money on it.

Maybe you need a lathe this is 50,000 times heavier, 50,000 times more rigid, and 50,000 times more, uh, purple?

Whatever. I can clearly derive no use whatsoever from this obnoxious Pee Oh Ess, and if anybody wants the parting blade and the few inserts I haven't yet broken, I will trade it all for
You are leaving us hanging! You will trade it for what? I'm interested, depending on the what.

I'll trade ya for it also....... Oh, never mind it is an AXA.

Did you make sure you were on center and square with the chuck?

Here's something dumb I own. I made my own CNC lathe. A mistake.

Today I put it on a new tool chest so it actually moves and won't be in the way all the time. I had it on a filthy old Workmate. I think I'm going to get a real ball screw for it and see if I can make it useful.

Attachments

• 09 12 22 CNC lathe Yukon tool chest 04 in workshop assembled small.jpg
    09 12 22 CNC lathe Yukon tool chest 04 in workshop assembled small.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 19
Back